Law School Discussion

A very Personal Statement...advise me please.

A very Personal Statement...advise me please.
« on: May 05, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »
I think I figured out what I am going to write my personal statement on- saving the life of my wife. Would it be appropriate to write about saving another person's life and how it impacted me?

Re: A very Personal Statement...advise me please.
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 03:48:08 PM »
Just as long as you are not too self indulging, you will probably be ok.

The real question is; can you write 2 pages that isn't repeating the same info over and over again?

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 04:11:49 PM »
I am not too worried about the length of the paper, but of touching on the subject. I do not intend to show a self-indulgent side, but of an event that changed my outlook and life forever.

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 07:01:20 PM »
I wrote about nearly dieing in a car accident / nearly killing someone else + my recovery to eventually hiking the grand canyon.

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 07:35:55 PM »
I would tread lightly with something as serious as this. Which is to say: all the good writing conventions about, I don't know, in medias res, making the person feel like they're there, making it exciting and You-Are-There by being really specific...I feel like those all apply far more easily when you're talking about something more mundane. There's nothing inherently wrong with the topic, but if it were me, I think I would write it, first, as straightforwardly and as honestly as I could, with no embellishments or writerly details at all. If you lay it on too thick with this, it could seriously backfire. Short, declarative sentences, cut way way way way back on adjectives and adverbs, don't get fancy with the vocabulary, limited semicolons, etc. That's my recommendation, at least.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:59:34 PM »
Just as long as you are not too self indulging, you will probably be ok.

The real question is; can you write 2 pages that isn't repeating the same info over and over again?
Definitely what I was thinking