Law School Discussion

$$$UF or Gtown

Re: $$$UF or Gtown
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:28:05 PM »
Your comments miss the mark.

Frankly, going to Georgetown won't guarantee you a high paying NYC market job either.  The facts are:

Both Florida and Georgetown grads get BIGLAW jobs
Georgetown costs more than $100,000 more than Florida over 3 years
Georgetown's BIGLAW placement is a bit better. 1/5 at Florida versus 3/5 at Georgetown

If you want to nit-pick; there's a good chance you go to Georgetown, completely screw up, and end up with a JD you can't afford.  If you go to Florida and screw up, at least your debt is manageable.

UnoriginalAndrew

• I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 02:15:54 PM »
Georgetown's BIGLAW placement is a bit better. 1/5 at Florida versus 3/5 at Georgetown

Perhaps it's not enough for the OP to justify choosing GULC, but I would say that 60% vs. 20% is more than "a bit better."

Plus, you then have to look at the job opportunities for the people at GULC who are even lower in the class. I'm willing to bet the opportunities are still better.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 02:27:51 PM »
$100K+ is a lot of dough to spend on the same degree.  1/5 v. 3/5 in my mind becomes a minute increase considering the debt load.

1)  The difference matters only if BIGLAW is your only goal
2)  Feeling like you're forced to do BIGLAW because that's the only way to pay off your debt isn't a preferable position to be in.  Actually, it sucks.  While it's not as bad as being unemployed, it's still a mood killer.  Imagine studying for years to become a professor and then being forced to take a job as a ditch digger to "pay the bills."

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 05:09:20 PM »
$100K+ is a lot of dough to spend on the same degree.  1/5 v. 3/5 in my mind becomes a minute increase considering the debt load.

1)  The difference matters only if BIGLAW is your only goal
2)  Feeling like you're forced to do BIGLAW because that's the only way to pay off your debt isn't a preferable position to be in.  Actually, it sucks.  While it's not as bad as being unemployed, it's still a mood killer.  Imagine studying for years to become a professor and then being forced to take a job as a ditch digger to "pay the bills."

It's not the same degree though. They couldn't be more different in terms of their prestige and marketability.

Moreover, the difference in employment between the two schools is far from minute. Biglaw goes about 65% into the class for Georgetown and about 15% for UF. Average students at Georgetown have a good shot at BigLaw in most cities, whereas only the top students from Florida have a good shot at BigLaw and, even then, are mainly viable within only one state.

I think OP would forever regret turning down Georgetown for Florida.

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 05:20:50 PM »
"The same degree"? lawandethan, I'm very glad you posted that, because I think that tells anyone reading all they need to know about how seriously to take your advice.

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
I can't wait to hear lawandethan's explanation of how Georgetown and UF are the "same degree"

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 05:45:59 PM »
I can't wait to hear lawandethan's explanation of how Georgetown and UF are the "same degree"

He edited his original comment to remove the assertion. How lame.

bruinbro

• B-Blitz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 05:51:02 PM »
Your comments miss the mark.
Frankly, going to Georgetown won't guarantee you a high paying NYC market job either.  The facts are:

Both Florida and Georgetown grads get BIGLAW jobs
Georgetown costs more than $100,000 more than Florida over 3 years

LOL! The NFL is also "a bit better" than the Arena Football League.

If you think the difference between 15% and 65% is "a bit", I'd like to know what difference you would find as being significant.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 05:59:29 PM »
UF Law student here.... Go to GULC.

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 08:57:44 PM »
Same degree refers to the J.D.

Obviously they are different schools.

As for all of the rest - I just disagree with you.  Georgetown is no Harvard.  It's "prestige" (while greater) is not worth paying in excess of six-figures for.