Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: visible tattoos  (Read 3213 times)

falkies

• View Profile
visible tattoos
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:52:58 AM »
I knew I couldn't show tattoos in the court room, but as a student I figured schools would not be so strict, however I am visitng a law school now and they said during classes we cannot have visible tattoos... has anyone ever heard of schools regulating your appearance while you are a student?

army76

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: visible tattoos
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:01:29 PM »
I have not heard of a regulation for tattos by law schools.  Probably a good idea though!!  Everyone has got them though. Tats today are fads!!

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:29:47 PM »
That seems pretty silly. Was it a religious school? You'd think as long as you're not in court (or at a formal competition, like moot court or something), it wouldn't matter.
Tulane c/o 2011

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Nope...I have a visible one (if you really pay attention) and so do my friends and we've never had a problem.
Columbia 3L

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 09:20:06 PM »
That is definitely a weird restriction for a non-religious school. 

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »
Yeah that is an odd restriction... but I do know that my tattoo gets more odd looks and comments down south than it does anywhere else.

I remember once that someone said I shouldn't have a tattoo if I wanted to do something professional.  My tattoo's on my upper left arm, though, so I just said that as long as I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, it'd definitely be covered...and it's still covered by short sleeved polo shirts.

He then said, "But what if you're playing golf or something, and the sleeve slips down and your tattoo shows?"   ...I just said I'd cross that bridge if and when I got to it, haha.
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

Steve Jones

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dir of Admissions, Florida Coastal School of Law
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 03:15:47 PM »
A tattoo is a "loser" identifier.  They are not allowed in our school.
We have many people from your state that attend our school!

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 03:56:21 PM »
A tattoo is a "loser" identifier.  They are not allowed in our school.

Dammit!  Another opportunity lost because of my tattoo.  Are you just mad because I never responded to your emails?
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 05:22:55 AM »
Yeah that is an odd restriction... but I do know that my tattoo gets more odd looks and comments down south than it does anywhere else.

I remember once that someone said I shouldn't have a tattoo if I wanted to do something professional.  My tattoo's on my upper left arm, though, so I just said that as long as I was wearing a long sleeved shirt, it'd definitely be covered...and it's still covered by short sleeved polo shirts.

He then said, "But what if you're playing golf or something, and the sleeve slips down and your tattoo shows?"   ...I just said I'd cross that bridge if and when I got to it, haha.

I doubt anyone will care about something on the upper arm. If you're already to the golfing stage then you should be fine. I'm thinking about getting a 3/4 sleeve after my first year, so I can roll my cuff up a little. I figure it shouldn't be an issue in the workplace.

Some interesting professionals with tats are on http://www.inkedinc.com/

Talk Is Cheap

• Sr. Citizen
  • F*** the man, I'm the man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 07:45:37 PM »
I'm getting mine zapped this summer, both to prevent any potential problems with "professionalism," but mostly because I'm sick of it. Youthful mistake. Wish I could save that removal fee, though.