Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: is it too late to change my mind???!?  (Read 1912 times)

falkies

• View Profile
is it too late to change my mind???!?
« on: May 17, 2008, 10:50:27 AM »
So I just found out that it will take until my 3L year to gain residency at pretty much any public school.  Problem is, I based a lot of my decisions on gaining residency after 1L year, and now out of state tuition for 2 years is not looking much different than some private schools I got into.  I withdrew from some schools and others I just didn't send the deposit in.  I still have one backup school, FCSL, so I can go there, but my question is: is it too late?  Is it possible to go to one of the schools I withdrew from or didn't send money to?  Or am I stuck now?

beaverfuzz

• View Profile
Re: is it too late to change my mind???!?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 12:32:26 PM »
You won't lose anything by shooting them a quick e-mail or calling on Monday. If you were willing to put down a deposit that day, and the school is trying to pull from its waitlist, I'd say you have a pretty good chance.

Just be honest and explain why you withdrew your application in the beginning and I bet you will find some sympathetic admissions people.

thelawman

• View Profile
    • numbers
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »
depends if they processed your request and filled in your spot yet

DLNY

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 10:11:50 PM »
Good luck with the email; let us know what happens.  I have been reconsidering my choice recently and after I go visit Friday for admitted students day I may find myself in a similar position to you. 
If anyone picks this up, I'm set right now to go to UC Hastings but I'm from the east coast and always thought I would practice here.  I donít know, however, if this will be possible from Hastings, I also do know how ok I am with leaving all that I have on the east coast.  If Iím considering transfering after my first year doesnít it make more sense to be at a slightly lower ranked school (American or Cardozo) closer to where I want to end up? Does Hastingsí better reputation and career prospects make this an easy choice?
Thank you for any thoughts

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 07:10:38 AM »
...and this is why we do research into our assumptions before making major life decisions...

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:59:58 PM »
Congrats, not bad for a withdraw. Maybe a strategy is in there somewhere...

Why couldn't you get residency after your first year at your other schools?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 08:22:03 PM »
What states were those? In Colorado and Florida, at least, you're able to claim residency after a year of living in the state, regardless of if it started in January or July. The state income tax thing might be a problem, but I think you could work around that.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:39:02 PM »
I see what you're saying, but why not just process your information in July/August? By 2L, all of your financial aid stuff should be on the board, so it's not like there's a big rush to apply like there is for 1L. As long as it gets done before school gets rolling, you should be good to go. Or maybe get it post dated?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 11:19:50 PM »
Fair enough. I'll be rolling through Jacksonville for the FSU v. Colorado game. Maybe we'll see you there?