Law School Discussion

My Story

Re: My Story
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
Transferred,

I should apologize for my skepticism is advance.  I find the recounting of your OCI experience to be entirely unbelievable.  I transferred from a T2 to a T14, and I, like most of the rest of my transfer class, was able to secure a position at a "prestigious" firm.

I accepted a spot at a V30 that I picked mainly on the strength of practice area and its reputation for a positive atmosphere, but transfer classmates of mine were able to line up spots at the firms of their choosing.  The experience of our class overall is reflected by the transfers in the class of '08, who nearly without exception, were able line up "biglaw" jobs if they wished.  I simply find it inconceivable that you could go through two on campus interviewing periods at a T15 and fail to land a job.  I also want to be sure that all of the readers of this board know that this is aberrational. 

During the OCI process, some employers did seem prejudiced against transfer students, but this was offset by the larger number of interviewers who expressed real curiousity about the process.  For the most part employers were, 1) interested in hearing about the process, how I decided to transfer, and how I liked my new school, 2) impressed I did so well at my previous school to merit consideration at the T14, and 3) respected that I had the initiative to pack up and move schools for the better opporutnities at my new one.  Perhaps there was a small disadvantage when being judged against students who had completed their 1L year at the T14, but if nothing else, being transfer helped to set one apart from the crowd. 

Moreover, transferring is becoming increasingly common, so I find your claim that the firms had no basis on which to judge you to be a real stretch.  Plus, could your career services office really have been so clueless as to recommend that you contact your old school.  I mean, c'mon.  This is simply all too much to swallow. 

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »
Very interesting.

Sounds like the employers were basically dinging you for being 5% short. I've heard anecdotal evidence about the difference between a top 5-10% and top 15% tier 2. For some reason, top 10% is the magical cutoff and if you don't make that you're nothing.

Thanks for sharing.

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 06:34:32 AM »
LOL, T15.  Just say UCLA.

LOL. Great call. :D

perhaps, but OP says the facts are intentionally left vague - could just be fukin around...

But you can also see how an employer would be less likely to go out on a limb for a UCLA student than for one at Georgetown or Cornell.  Fair or not, the T14 has a prestige that no other school does.

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2008, 08:36:04 PM »

perhaps, but OP says the facts are intentionally left vague - could just be fukin around...

But you can also see how an employer would be less likely to go out on a limb for a UCLA student than for one at Georgetown or Cornell.  Fair or not, the T14 has a prestige that no other school does.

It has nothing to do with the prestige of the school you transferred to, and everything to do with your record at your prior institution.

During 2L OCI transfer students are screened, in my and my classmates' experience, as if you were applying from your prior school.  Unless you met their high grade cut-offs for a T2/T3/T4 student you were shut out of the interviewing process.  Students who transferred to a t14 school were most likely in the top 1-5% at their old school and marketable even by these high standards.  Those of us that transferred into the t25 or even the t20 likely missed the mark by a hair, and were subsequently ignored.

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:18:54 AM »
agree with the OP. transferring can hurt people a lot of the time. i met resistance too during interviews. i got offers because i was in the VERY TOP of my class at the T20 i transferred from. they didn't judge me as a UVA student

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2008, 01:40:09 PM »
The OP is pretty disheartening. I was accepted to Gtown EA from a Tier 3/4. I was top 2% of my class and expect some resistance during OCI, I didn't think it would be that bad. I'd really like to hear other people's stories who have transferred. Were employers skeptical? Did you still get offers during OCI?

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2008, 05:02:40 PM »
It's not that bad.  I promise.  And though a very few employers were skeptical, most were curious about the process. 

If you were top 2% and remain so, you will likely be accepted into other T14's as well, and you will not have problems finding a job. 

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2008, 02:10:26 PM »
Was it really necessary to tell employers you transferred?

*devo*

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:35:55 PM »

It has nothing to do with the prestige of the school you transferred to, and everything to do with your record at your prior institution.

During 2L OCI transfer students are screened, in my and my classmates' experience, as if you were applying from your prior school.  Unless you met their high grade cut-offs for a T2/T3/T4 student you were shut out of the interviewing process.  Students who transferred to a t14 school were most likely in the top 1-5% at their old school and marketable even by these high standards.  Those of us that transferred into the t25 or even the t20 likely missed the mark by a hair, and were subsequently ignored.

This assessment seems accurate.  The OP was at the T15, which is impressive, but the partners only have grades from the OP's previous institutuion.  Perhaps the OP missed the firms' cutoff for grades at her previous school and was not given consideration as a result.