Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Which law dictionary do you recommend?  (Read 2475 times)

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Which law dictionary do you recommend?
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 11:58:21 AM »
I swear you people are so high strung.  Who cares if you don't look up a term before class?  I saw this happen once or twice in all of 1L.  And even if you are the poor sap that is called on, what happens if you can't answer?  NOTHING!  Grading is blind and based on final exams.  Socratic method is the last thing you should ever worry about.

Come on, nobody wants to look stupid in class even if it has no impact on your grade.  Regardless, looking up an unknown term can be helpful to understanding the case you're reading.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 01:54:47 PM »
I swear you people are so high strung.  Who cares if you don't look up a term before class?  I saw this happen once or twice in all of 1L.  And even if you are the poor sap that is called on, what happens if you can't answer?  NOTHING!  Grading is blind and based on final exams.  Socratic method is the last thing you should ever worry about.

Come on, nobody wants to look stupid in class even if it has no impact on your grade.  Regardless, looking up an unknown term can be helpful to understanding the case you're reading.

Never bothered me.  I never prepped for class - only for exams.  And yes, there was more than one occasion where I looked like a dumbass in class.  Maybe every occasion? 

Some of my responses:
"got me?"
"sorry, i don't know where your going with this"
"what are you asking?"
"yeah, i saw the case used three tests, i didn't think the court was very clear what the deal was"
"right, i'm not sure, but the gist of the case is this..."

MiamiHurricane

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 02:14:11 PM »
The Black's Pocket Edition may be worth having (although you can definitely do without it).  However, wait until classes start to buy it.  It was 3 years ago, but I seem to recall that it came with a packet of books required for my legal writing class.  These books were bundled together and sold as a unit, so you couldn't pick and choose which of these you wanted.  I don't know if your school's bookstore will do something like this, but since you probably don't need the dictionary in the first place, you most likely don't want to pay for 2 copies.

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 02:23:30 PM »
I rarely used my law dictionary; when I did, I just used Black's that was on Westlaw. I did find an old Black's at Goodwill that I bought. :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 02:36:28 PM »
I rarely used my law dictionary; when I did, I just used Black's that was on Westlaw. I did find an old Black's at Goodwill that I bought. :)

you are such an over achiever 1Lchica.

oh, and i have missed you on LSD :( 

1Lchica

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 02:43:06 PM »
Hah, whateverrr. The only thing I do on here is rant :)

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 06:28:01 PM »
Hah, whateverrr. The only thing I do on here is rant :)

haha, your rants are funny though cause you are smart and then get worried and then do really well anyway :)

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2008, 09:41:27 AM »

Never bothered me.  I never prepped for class - only for exams.  And yes, there was more than one occasion where I looked like a dumbass in class.  Maybe every occasion? 

Some of my responses:
"got me?"
"sorry, i don't know where your going with this"
"what are you asking?"
"yeah, i saw the case used three tests, i didn't think the court was very clear what the deal was"
"right, i'm not sure, but the gist of the case is this..."

I never got stumped, but that's because I volunteer for short easy questions that I know the answer to.  Then the professor is less likely to "want to hear my voice" when he needs to pick on someone.  Torts and Crim law were really my only classes that used a true socratic method, but Crim you knew when you were on call, and Torts had heavily edited cases in the casebook, so if you highlighted the important parts and wrote a few things in the margins, you were fine.

Hahaha, did my extremely apathetic post get deleted?  Seriously, law school isn't a big deal.