Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suffolk vs Wayne State  (Read 1082 times)

stewart35

• View Profile
Suffolk vs Wayne State
« on: May 15, 2008, 07:24:12 PM »
Right now it looks as though I will be attending one of the above schools.  I have been doing my research on both schools, but would like advice from any current students or alum that attended either school.

Some specifics
1) How tough is the grading curve at both schools?
2) How bad is the Wayne area? (I visited earlier this year but wasn't there too long) How expensive is the Boston area?
3) Which school has better job prospects after graduation in their respective area?

Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk vs Wayne State
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 08:38:43 PM »
Boston is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.  (went to ugrad there and lived there for 2 yrs after)

WSUAlum1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 09:18:40 PM »
I've posted about Wayne quite a bit.  It is really struggling.  Check out this discussion for the major issues:

http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,104032.30.html

You could also hit my link for recent posts.  They'll tell you a lot about where Wayne was, and is now.  It's not a happy picture

In general: Wayne used to be a borderline T2 school.  It is now deep into T3 (tied for 125th in last USN rankings).  When Wayne was the unquestioned #2 in MI, it attracted good students from the region, and had good employment prospects.  Now things have 'tipped,' and MSU will likely be in T2 in a couple of years, and I fear for where the school is going.  They just hired a 2d choice Dean after choice one turned them down.  He's from Willamette (tied for last in T3).  I don't expect any miracles.

On your other issues: housing, etc will be cheaper in Detroit, but we've been in a recession for at least 3 years, and local employment prospects are very grim.  Unless you finish quite high in your class, you'll really have to hustle.  As for student life and fun, Wayne is a commuter school, and you will not find the walking distance social life that you'd find in schools w/ large #s of students on campus (not that you'd want to walk much after dark anyway).  But if you have some street smarts and a car, you can live in some moderately priced suburbs about 15-20 mins away.  There are good bars and great music in Detroit, and once you get a feel for the place, it is much better than advertised.  If you are a sports fan, we've got the '4 majors' and I'll bet the tickets are way cheaper than Boston.

Frankly--I'd be more worried about where the school is headed than I would about living here.

You can write me off-post.  I'd be happy to tell you more.

WSUAlum1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 09:24:41 PM »
Oh:

grading curve for 1L is something like:

20% A and A- max, 40-45% Bs, 30-35% Cs, rest Ds and Fs. 1L median is just below a 3.0.  3.5 is usually top 10%.  Things ease up in 2 and 3L, like everywhere.

mf22076

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 09:39:05 PM »
The curve at Suffolk is a B-/C+, the nightlife is pretty good with a ton of bars within walking/ Subway(the T)distance.  Boston is a very expensive place to live compared to Detroit.  Suffolk has a very strong network of alumni and everyone I know with decent grades got a pretty good job.  I just finished 1 L there so I can answer any other questions you have. 

TJCCARDCO

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 12:53:44 PM »
The curve at Suffolk is a B-/C+, the nightlife is pretty good with a ton of bars within walking/ Subway(the T)distance.  Boston is a very expensive place to live compared to Detroit.  Suffolk has a very strong network of alumni and everyone I know with decent grades got a pretty good job.  I just finished 1 L there so I can answer any other questions you have. 

Can you PM Me buddy? I need to ask you a few questions..or just drop me a line at TJCCARDCO@aol.com

UnoriginalAndrew

• Sr. Citizen
  • I found a Moonrock in my nose!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 01:08:13 PM »
Boston is RIDICULOUSLY expensive.  (went to ugrad there and lived there for 2 yrs after)

Compared to...?
I Choo-Choo-Choose you:  Boston College Law School, Class of 2011

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 06:17:19 PM »

Compared to...?

Uh...everywhere that's not Chicago, NY, and LA.

big - fat - box

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2008, 03:45:57 PM »
If you have in-state tuition at Wayne, I would go there.

The high cost of Suffolk isn't justified by it's job prospects.

If you are rich and can pay your tuition in cash, go to the school you like better.

The "unless you finish high in your class, you'll have to hustle" applies to both schools.