Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Off the WL: UCLA or Washington & Lee?  (Read 2248 times)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
Re: Off the WL: UCLA or Washington & Lee?
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 12:59:12 PM »
hmm, what are your career goals?

I'll be honest, i would probably pick UCLA, even with the money at W&L. However, you do have to remember that your debt will be pretty high. You'll still be paying a decent amount of tuition (50-60K) and cost of living will probably be fairly high as well. I would guess you'll have at least 100K in student loans. However, that might come down if you can get decent summer gigs. So, as long as you are ok with working a high paying (read: long hours) job, then go for UCLA. If you want to do anything else (PI, etc.) then you might consider W&L.

It's a hard choice though. Both are good schools and I think you'd do well coming out of either one. Keep us updated on what happens.

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2008, 09:59:06 AM »
I paid the $500 deposit to UCLA in order to keep my admission offer. I still haven't decided if I want to go.

In theory, I'm completely fine with working long hours at a big firm. However, I haven't experienced big firm life personally so maybe I won't find it enjoyable.

Coming from W&L, I'll be looking at a debt of around $60k.

Coming from UCLA, I'll be looking at a debt of around $150k.

Is it realistic to pay $150k off? Is the debt burden too high?  ???

I like the idea that UCLA will probably offer me better career prospects coming out of school. However, I've had working attorneys tell me that it doesn't matter where you went to school after a few years (I found this hard to believe). Is the UCLA education really worth $90k more? (plus compound interest on the debt of course)

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2008, 10:22:40 AM »
I paid the $500 deposit to UCLA in order to keep my admission offer. I still haven't decided if I want to go.

In theory, I'm completely fine with working long hours at a big firm. However, I haven't experienced big firm life personally so maybe I won't find it enjoyable.

I like the idea that UCLA will probably offer me better career prospects coming out of school. However, I've had working attorneys tell me that it doesn't matter where you went to school after a few years (I found this hard to believe). Is the UCLA education really worth $90k more? (plus compound interest on the debt of course)

As long as you're ok with getting the type of job that will allow you to pay it off (i.e. biglaw).

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2008, 11:06:35 AM »

As long as you're ok with getting the type of job that will allow you to pay it off (i.e. biglaw).

I think I'm OK with working biglaw (long hours, intense work, etc.). However, I wish I could be more sure. How did you guys know you did or did not want to work in biglaw?

procrastinator

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2008, 12:25:45 PM »

I really do think this is true.  Once you land your first job, all other jobs will only care about the fact that you were able to land and hold down a job in the first place.  If your first big job happens to be at a prestigious place - be it large and fancy corporate firm, competitive PI job, gov job, clerkship - lateral places will simply be impressed by the fact that you were able to secure such a good gig.  I have heard this time and again from attorneys who have experience with lateral moves at large firms.  Academia is a whole other beast, but that's a special case.  I mean, seriously, if your first job out of a decent (although maybe not "top") school is with a V100 firm, doesn't it just make sense that other employers will care a lot more about your ability to turn out good work in a firm environment than the school listed on your diploma?

Now the real challenge lies in landing that first good job.  Whether or not it's worth $90,000 for the easier first gig prospects is difficult to say.  I go to UCLA and know the prospects are pretty good from here.  Those who want DC and government jobs got them (though they are relatively few in number.  But this might actually cut the competition a bit).  I know next to nothing about W&L.  It's a tough call, indeed.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2008, 12:41:51 PM »
the deadline was yesterday - did you make a choice?

washdc23

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:22 PM »

I paid my $500 deposit to UCLA. It doesn't mean I'm going.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2008, 01:47:53 PM »

I paid my $500 deposit to UCLA. It doesn't mean I'm going.

ah...