Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How far along are you in your moving plans?  (Read 1952 times)

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
How far along are you in your moving plans?
« on: May 15, 2008, 10:40:32 AM »
My husband and I put our house on the market this week, he's landed a job offer in DC, and we found an apartment for July.

Things are moving along.  How about everyone else?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How far along are you in your moving plans?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 10:47:40 AM »
Unlike you, I don't really have to worry about moving a family along with me. It will just be me. I visited Dallas a few weeks ago, and, while I was there, I checked out apartments. I was all ready to sign leases -- or, at least, put down deposits -- but over there, the majority of good apartment complexes work on a notifying of month-to-month. Thus, they informed me that I should call back in mid-June to see availability for August. So, I'm kinda sitting. Interestingly enough, the worst apartment complex I visited actually called me the week after (when I was back in CA) telling me that they still had the apartment that I looked at.

It work very differently over there in Texas. When I was going to school up at Berkeley, we'd have our lease already signed for the upcoming semester; if we did not, we'd get screwed on our rent. But, I'm hoping it works out. I don't think it should be a problem.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 10:48:17 AM »
I haven't even started.  I am currently living in Williamsburg and made my deposit at W&M, but I'm really hoping to do well enough on the June LSAT that I have some chance at getting off of a WL.  Even if I go to W&M I need to move (don't really like my apartment complex), so I am going to at least wait until early July to see if I even improved, in which case I guess I'll put off signing anything as long as possible in case I get off of a WL.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 10:53:48 AM »
I've noticed this too - different cities have totally different markets.  It makes me a bit nervous making last minute plans with this big of a life change.  My husband and I have lived in Boston for 13+ years and moving to DC is a monumental change for us.  I'd like to have enough time over the summer that I'm not stressing out all summer about moving.  Also my condo needs to sell and my husband needs to find a job.  I'm on the waitlist at BC but I have to make these plans......  :(

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:20:13 PM »
My wife and I are moving 1300 miles away in august. We signed the lease on our apartment but she doesn't have a job yet.  She's put in a few applications but we haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Any tips on Job hunting when you are 17 hours away?  We will live 20 minutes from Topeka, KS and about 45 minutes from Kansas City, Mo

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:22:38 PM »
My wife and I are moving 1300 miles away in august. We signed the lease on our apartment but she doesn't have a job yet.  She's put in a few applications but we haven't heard back from anyone yet.

Any tips on Job hunting when you are 17 hours away?  We will live 20 minutes from Topeka, KS and about 45 minutes from Kansas City, Mo

Job search on the internet.  Try posting here and in online forums and see if you can find anyone who can submit her resume internally.  Check craiglist daily.  If you're in a facebook group for your incoming 1L class, see if anyone is from the area and can give some inside tips.  What type of job is she looking for?

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:27:44 PM »

Job search on the internet.  Try posting here and in online forums and see if you can find anyone who can submit her resume internally.  Check craiglist daily.  If you're in a facebook group for your incoming 1L class, see if anyone is from the area and can give some inside tips.  What type of job is she looking for?

She's pretty open to any job.  She just finished her bachelors in Business Administration and she's been working as an office manager for a commercial construction company.
She'd like to be an office manager for a dentist or doctors office if it's possible. She's also looking for a job at the University because we'd be eligible for in state tuition.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:16 PM »

She's pretty open to any job.  She just finished her bachelors in Business Administration and she's been working as an office manager for a commercial construction company.
She'd like to be an office manager for a dentist or doctors office if it's possible. She's also looking for a job at the University because we'd be eligible for in state tuition.

Universities usually have a large employment section.  She may also try using a hiring agency/headhunter.  Some cost many but some don't.  I think it depends what city they are in.  I know a lot in Boston get paid by firms/companies not the clients but I know sometimes it works the other way around.

boombasticlady

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 03:30:48 PM »
i am compiled a list of places i would live  when i move from boston to chicago i still have schools to hear back from and im on the waitlist for New England  and we know how long those waitlists can be sometimes so im moving ahead with my plans. JMLS will be having an open house in June so i will go look at places then and hopefully ill get an apt before i come back home.

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 03:31:43 PM »
i am compiled a list of places i would live  when i move from boston to chicago i still have schools to hear back from and im on the waitlist for New England  and we know how long those waitlists can be sometimes so im moving ahead with my plans. JMLS will be having an open house in June so i will go look at places then and hopefully ill get an apt before i come back home.

waitlists are the worst when you're trying to plan a complicated move