Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: A "Magic Line" at 3.0?  (Read 1242 times)

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
A "Magic Line" at 3.0?
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:55:38 PM »
A couple questions:

I've been fighting for the past couple semesters to get my GPA above a 3.0 (really, really dumb decisions my first three semesters).  Out of curiosity, does anyone have any insight as to whether a 3.0 constitutes some sort of significant threshold?  Is a 3.0 vs a 2.9 viewed much differently than a 3.4 vs a 3.3?

Also, I'm planning on taking a couple online courses this summer to help make it over the hurdle.  Any advice/warnings as to this plan?

Thanks as always.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: A "Magic Line" at 3.0?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:49:11 PM »
Bump?
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

Slice57

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:20:15 PM »
Of course a higher GPA will help things... but there is no magic line. What did you get on your LSAT? Where did you go to Undergrad? What was your major?

These are all things that will either help or hurt you when you apply to schools. Now are you going to be at a 1st tier school... probably not unless you knock the LSAT out of the park.

FYI... my UG GPA was 2.94. I was offered full rides after several Tier 3 schools and anywhere between $20K - 8K at some Tier 2 schools.

So I am saying as long as you do well on the LSAT, pick a school in an area you want to live, and you'll be fine.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 01:07:02 AM »
I got into some pretty decent Tier 1/2 schools with a 3.1 and 167, and then my GPA went up to about a 3.2 and I got into a few more T1.  If you can do really well on the LSAT you should be fine.  As far as a magic line, I just think 3.0 looks and sounds a lot better than 2.9, and I think it is a great goal to try and reach (but the higher the better).  It's a good idea to take as many courses as possible to get your grades up, I wish I had done that but hindsight is 20/20.  Good luck!

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2008, 12:31:28 PM »
Thanks everyone.

I'm scoring around 173 on my practice tests (I know not to rely on practice scores, however); hopefully, now that finals are over, I'll be able to hike that up another 2 or 3 points with full-time studying until June 16.

I also plan on "marketing" my application as the guy who worked 25-30 hours a week during undergrad while still doing multiple extracurriculars (including leadership positions), and I'll stress my upward grade trend.  I should have three solid recs too (one generally outstanding, one speaking to my writing ability, and one speaking to my research, editing, and cite-checking experience).

Of course, I'll also send Fall '08 grades as soon as they come in, and try to apply as soon as they start accepting apps.

Can anyone offer any additional advice?

Thanks again everyone, you've all been fantastic.

limegreen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 12:41:32 PM »
I wouldn't count on the work thing helping you very much.  I had a sub 3.0 GPA my first two years (because I worked 25 hours a week) and when I stopped working (the last two years) I had a 3.7+ GPA.  My cumulative GPA was about a 3.1, and I think my acceptances/WL definitely reflected this average rather than my upward trend.  I was really hoping to get a small bump because I included an addendum, etc, but in the end I don't think they care that much if you worked part time during school- it's really all about the numbers.

I would take as many summer credits as your school allows to up your GPA.  I almost did this last summer and now I am kind of wishing I had, just a couple more A's would have gotten me to the 3.3 mark.

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:46:33 PM »
My advice to you is that if you can manage to get that 173, I would apply Early Decision to Northwestern.  The fact that you have work experience will look great to them in particular. 

I think a 173/3.0 ED at Northwestern is your best bet.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 01:17:37 PM »
Well, I'm not sure how much it actually counts as "work experience."

It's much more along the lines of delivering pizzas and have a work-study job making copies than it is working part-time in a business setting.

Oh, I should have added that the summer classes aren't through my UG, but through a local community college.  My UG won't take the credits as transfer.  This shouldn't prevent them from factoring into my LSDAS GPA, right?

Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 01:43:59 PM »

It's much more along the lines of delivering pizzas and have a work-study job making copies than it is working part-time in a business setting.

Oh, I should have added that the summer classes aren't through my UG, but through a local community college.  My UG won't take the credits as transfer.  This shouldn't prevent them from factoring into my LSDAS GPA, right?

Scratch the NW ED advice then, because your work experience isn't substantial.

I'm not sure re: the LSDAS GPA thing... someone on this board def has the answer for you though.

I would find a school to ED to though.  It's your best shot, because if theyre gonna take a hit with your GPA, they at least want to make sure that they can guarantee you will matriculate.  think about EDing georgetown.
Wallace Stevens: "BLAHHHH you and I are like the same person."

techpers0n

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:30 PM »

As long as your community college has accreditation (which I bet it does), your grades from there will be part of your LSDAS GPA. If you think you can improve your GPA, think about waiting a year (or maybe 2) to apply. This will allow you to improve your GPA over the summer AND the year, get a little bit of work experience, and earn some money.