Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I go to Temple?  (Read 4351 times)

guatibiri

• View Profile
Should I go to Temple?
« on: May 14, 2008, 08:41:34 PM »
I am deciding between Temple and Brooklyn Law.  Temple gave me a full scholarship and Brooklyn gave me 23k and loans.  What do you guys think of Temple, specifically in terms of getting NY jobs and international law opportunities?  Is Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing really that good?  How are Temple alumni?  What is the atmosphere of the school?

themanwithoutaname

• View Profile
Re: Should I go to Temple?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 12:25:19 AM »
Temple is a good school, and you can't beat free tuition. I can't speak as to Brooklyn Law, but at Temple you could always lose your scholarship, if you're not in the top xx% of your class (I know you don't want to think about that, but Temple is very competitive, and they've got some smarties.  Temple is pretty regional, but they do have "on campus recruiting" day with New York jobs.  That said, if you're sure you want to end up in New York, go to school in New York (if it's between two similarly ranked schools, as here.)

Yes, their trial advocacy and legal writing programs really are top-notch; I'd say they have the best program in the area (>Penn>Nova>Rutgers>Widener>Drexel).

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 02:13:03 AM »
Temple is a good school, and you can't beat free tuition. I can't speak as to Brooklyn Law, but at Temple you could always lose your scholarship, if you're not in the top xx% of your class (I know you don't want to think about that, but Temple is very competitive, and they've got some smarties.  Temple is pretty regional, but they do have "on campus recruiting" day with New York jobs.  That said, if you're sure you want to end up in New York, go to school in New York (if it's between two similarly ranked schools, as here.)

Yes, their trial advocacy and legal writing programs really are top-notch; I'd say they have the best program in the area (>Penn>Nova>Rutgers>Widener>Drexel).

You would say their entire JD program is better than Penn?  Or just the trial ad?

themanwithoutaname

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 10:34:49 AM »

You would say their entire JD program is better than Penn?  Or just the trial ad?

Their Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing is better than Penn.  They have actual professors for Legal Writing, and their trial advocacy program is generally considered to be one of the best around.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:45:32 AM »

Their Trial Advocacy and Legal Writing is better than Penn.  They have actual professors for Legal Writing, and their trial advocacy program is generally considered to be one of the best around.

Ok.  ;)  I agree with that.  Their trial ad. is insane.

mutual_biscuit

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2008, 10:55:02 AM »
Temple usually has a higher bar pass rate as well, though I think Penn beat us last year. Shows you how far all that fancy theory will get you.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2008, 02:12:23 PM »
Temple usually has a higher bar pass rate as well, though I think Penn beat us last year. Shows you how far all that fancy theory will get you.

Well, I don't know about that, but Penn's bar passage rate is based on NY and Temple's is on PA.  There is probably a difference in difficulty between the two.