Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Houston  (Read 9442 times)

dolemite01

• View Profile
University of Houston
« on: May 14, 2008, 05:43:53 PM »
Waited a good while, rejected.  Just Texas Tech left now on wait list, lots of people were sent letters to say they are no longer on wait list, that they have been rejected so I'm holding out.   I feel like I've let a lot of people down  ::)
154 LSAT, 3.05 / 3.48 Degree, 27 with two kids, worked full time to support family, came from an extremely rough background that included poverty and first college graduate in family including extended...white male....

Tex117

• View Profile
Re: University of Houston
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 12:34:05 PM »
Did you get in anywhere else?  STCL?

Are you sure you don't want to sit out a year and re-take the LSAT?

dolemite01

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:25:49 PM »
I didn't receive any fee waivers except from Tech so I was strapped for cash, it spent about $300 in applications and South Texas wasn't one.  It was stupid looking back, I did a lot of things stupid in my cycle this year, I've taken the LSAT twice unfortunately.
154 LSAT, 3.05 / 3.48 Degree, 27 with two kids, worked full time to support family, came from an extremely rough background that included poverty and first college graduate in family including extended...white male....

weymo001

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Houston- It is all about the numbers!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 02:53:29 PM »
Hi,

I am applied to all the Texas schools except UT, St. Mary's, and South Texas plus Franklin Pierce. Have a MS in Biology and 16 yrs of experience. Five scientific publications. Waitlisted at Franklin Pierce and rejected elsewhere. State preference and experience didn't help. Problem applied in Feb. PE and graduate degrees don't count......LSAT counts! Get a 160, apply first, apply to about 20 schools, and you are in somewhere. So spend 1000-2000 on test prep, 2000 on applications for 20 schools plus test costs, and you will have bought your way into a law school. USWR has made the admissions less subjective/objective and more about LSAT numbers. So invest in a Testmasters course and apply in Sept. Personally, this will be the least important career accomplishment that I will have but adcomms want the numbers to raise their rankings. It is quite myoptic and not holistic.

VIsit the schools in the summer with application in hand and ask them point blank, "What else will it take for my application to be seriously considered at this school?" Just give what they want...numbers!

jonologic

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008, 01:32:23 PM »
Bummer.  :(
LSAT - TBD
UGPA - 3.98

IN:
OUT:

Contestants:

UT Austin, STCL, Texas Wesleyan, UH
Tulane, Howard, Thurgood Marshall, Baylor
Texas Tech

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 04:42:24 PM »
I know I will get flamed for saying this, but I don't think you should go to law school if you don't get a scholarship from a school like Texas Tech, STCL, or St. Mary's. I graduated from Tulane with honors in Jan. and already passed the Texas bar and I am still looking for a job. Hopefully the economy will be getting better in three years from now, but I wouldn't risk it. If you are not in it for the money or are OK with a $40K/year salary and loan payments of up to $2K/month, then by all means go for law school. Just consider the worst case scenario BEFORE taking out tens of thousands of dollars in loans.

BTW, here is a good blog from a Texas Tech law student that has decent info on Texas law schools in general: http://resipsablog.com/

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 05:09:29 PM »
I know I will get flamed for saying this, but I don't think you should go to law school if you don't get a scholarship from a school like Texas Tech, STCL, or St. Mary's. I graduated from Tulane with honors in Jan. and already passed the Texas bar and I am still looking for a job. Hopefully the economy will be getting better in three years from now, but I wouldn't risk it. If you are not in it for the money or are OK with a $40K/year salary and loan payments of up to $2K/month, then by all means go for law school. Just consider the worst case scenario BEFORE taking out tens of thousands of dollars in loans.

BTW, here is a good blog from a Texas Tech law student that has decent info on Texas law schools in general: http://resipsablog.com/

It's good to warn people to seriously weigh the pros and cons of LS before going into debt for it.  But...you're right, you'll probably get a ton of sh*t for saying the above without more explanation. 

How is it you graduated from a decent school with honors and have no job prospects?  Is it because of the move to TX after graduating?  If you hadn't moved, how would your experience have been different?  What about your classmates?  How many of them graduated with honors and are still looking for a job almost 7 months later?  Did you participate in OCI last fall?  Give us some more details so we can put your experience into context and not just view it as another "you're doomed, go work at McDonald's" thread.

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 05:26:44 PM »
Long story short, I had a job lined up before I graduated, but because of the mortgage financial crisis, the firm rescinded my offer. I probably would have been more competitive had I been applying during 3L OCI, but I though I had a job secured. Since the period between now and November is a "lull" when it comes to law firm hiring, my prospects are bleak at the time being. But if you want more detailed info, I started a thread a while ago where I got thoroughly castigated: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4010697.0.html. But as I said in that thread and I will say it again here, my intend is to not lambast lower tiered schools or disuade people from attending these law schools all togeither; but rather provide some additional insight into my situation and the situations of several law students who are blindly choosing law schools. Maybe I am the only one here who went to law school with dollar signs in my eyes or felt more secure by having a JD along with my associate degree, but I hope people will really weigh their options before going to any law school with significant debt (especially in this economy).   

PaleForce

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 05:52:02 PM »
Long story short, I had a job lined up before I graduated, but because of the mortgage financial crisis, the firm rescinded my offer. I probably would have been more competitive had I been applying during 3L OCI, but I though I had a job secured. Since the period between now and November is a "lull" when it comes to law firm hiring, my prospects are bleak at the time being. But if you want more detailed info, I started a thread a while ago where I got thoroughly castigated: http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/prelaw/index.php/topic,4010697.0.html. But as I said in that thread and I will say it again here, my intend is to not lambast lower tiered schools or disuade people from attending these law schools all togeither; but rather provide some additional insight into my situation and the situations of several law students who are blindly choosing law schools. Maybe I am the only one here who went to law school with dollar signs in my eyes or felt more secure by having a JD along with my associate degree, but I hope people will really weigh their options before going to any law school with significant debt (especially in this economy).   

Wow...that was a pretty harsh thread.  I think part of the problem is that most of us are 0L's who don't want to hear that a T1 isn't a ticket to a good job with benefits (even if it's not BIGLAW), and some others are still in LS and don't want to hear it because they're closer to the possibility of facing this scenario.  It sucks that the firm rescinded the offer, sorry about that.  But, you could look at it this way: you graduated with honors, had a job lined up and the economy screwed you out of it.  You got one offer, you'll get others when firms start hiring again.  As for the Starbucks thing, maybe you should consider substitute teaching (obviously, when school's in session) or tutoring.  You wouldn't have to pour tall, double caff, skim, cinnamon-topped lattes (or whatever the hell they are- I only like the Christmas coffees @ SB  ;)).  In my state all you need is a bachelor's and it pays decently- around $80/day- and you could keep pouring lattes at night if you needed to. 
I think you're absolutely right about making sure to plan for the worst case scenario and stories like yours are probably more valuable than the "I have a friend who went to Cooley and makes $300k at a NYC BIGLAW firm."

legalese_retard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 06:22:13 PM »

Wow...that was a pretty harsh thread.  I think part of the problem is that most of us are 0L's who don't want to hear that a T1 isn't a ticket to a good job with benefits (even if it's not BIGLAW), and some others are still in LS and don't want to hear it because they're closer to the possibility of facing this scenario.  It sucks that the firm rescinded the offer, sorry about that.  But, you could look at it this way: you graduated with honors, had a job lined up and the economy screwed you out of it.  You got one offer, you'll get others when firms start hiring again.  As for the Starbucks thing, maybe you should consider substitute teaching (obviously, when school's in session) or tutoring.  You wouldn't have to pour tall, double caff, skim, cinnamon-topped lattes (or whatever the hell they are- I only like the Christmas coffees @ SB  ;)).  In my state all you need is a bachelor's and it pays decently- around $80/day- and you could keep pouring lattes at night if you needed to. 
I think you're absolutely right about making sure to plan for the worst case scenario and stories like yours are probably more valuable than the "I have a friend who went to Cooley and makes $300k at a NYC BIGLAW firm."

Yeah, I know something will come it. It is just annoying knowing that most of my friends who are similarly situated class and ranking wise are making tons of money and paying off their loans, while I am struggling to make ends meet AND working more hours then they are. Plus the fact that I can't even get a job interview at small firms let alone get a job at the firms my friends landed. On the bright side, I got a loan deferral since my income could no way support my loan payments. I also got my loans consolidated with another loan company since Fannie Mae is in the consolidation business - the key is getting a bar loan from another loan company and then consolidating the other loans with them.