Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Driving Cross Country- Trip Planning  (Read 723 times)

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
Driving Cross Country- Trip Planning
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:19:12 PM »
So I have decided that I will be making the 2,500 mile drive from Southern California to Buffalo.  I already mapquested the directions.  I'm planning to make the trip in 3-4 days.  My boyfriend is going to be helping with the driving.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew of a website that gives you directions tailed for a road trip.  For instance, I want to stop every 700 miles.  I want to find a website that will know more or less what city I would be in at that point so I can make hotel reservations.

Anyone know if anything like this exists?
Class of 2011

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Cross Country- Trip Planning
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 02:24:48 PM »
Triple A?

AAA?

Automobile Club?

I'd start there...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 02:31:18 PM »
Google "AAA triptik" - they're fantastic. I think you can do it for free online, and if you have a AAA membership, they'll do them for you and put them in sections and include maps and stuff. I've used them for a number of long drives.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:07:47 PM »
I did a big road trip a few weeks ago.
I printed the map out in sections and then used www.bestplaces.net to get the population info on the cities along my route.  It took me a half hour, but it was really nice to be able to look at the map and know how big the next city would be.

Also, 700 miles will give you a lot of options.  You can go all the way from Denver to Kansas City and it's less than 700.

cantwaitforuva

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:27:42 PM »
Definitely Triple A. I've done two cross country trips and they are amazing. If you're a member they will give you tons of maps and you can go in and meet with a rep and they will help you plan the trip and find hotels, etc.

MissNatalie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 12:53:04 PM »
Thank you for your advice. Fortunately I am a AAA member and I will have to look into everything they have to offer.
Class of 2011

RoughRider

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 01:03:26 PM »
I'll give another plug for AAA.  Just planned my cross-country move from WA to VA and like others said they put together a nice little booklet, dividing the trip in sections.  I probably won't be doing the driving thing now, but I was impressed with the service.