Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MAC or PC?!?!  (Read 1909 times)

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
MAC or PC?!?!
« on: May 14, 2008, 12:50:59 PM »
Ok, so I have vowed to myself that I will never buy another PC (for obvious reasons)...but, I know that my LS uses IBM databases, etc.  From what I have gathered from some techie-types, I can install Parallels on a Macbook and use all IBM databases, etc. without worry. (I assume this means even if I use a Mac for a clerkship, job, etc.)

Any thoughts? 

Oh, and I REALLY, REALLY want the Macbook... aside from all the needs for a new laptop.

Thanks!

Clara Bear

• View Profile
Re: MAC or PC?!?!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2008, 04:38:55 PM »
My school has the answer to this question on the computer services FAQ website.  Maybe try that.  If the info isn't there, call the school to see if the test software works on a Mac.

I would imagine that it's not a problem in most schools.

StevePirates

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • JollyLawger
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2008, 05:12:24 PM »
Mac + BootCamp  No problems at a school the specifically advises students that they don't support Macs.

philosophia

• Please. Just. Don't.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2008, 11:37:41 PM »
Thanks.  I did check the website and it seems that my school supports exams on either platform.  But I think I'll give 'em a call to be sure!

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 11:15:24 AM »
Iím going to ahead and throw in on this topicÖ

Normally, I wouldnít offer computing advice to someone I donít know personally, but Iím just so amazed at how many people are buying Macintosh computers who surf this message board.

To keep it simple:  If you consider yourself a novice user then a Mac (iMac, iBook, whatever) is going to be a very gentle introduction into the computing world.

If you consider yourself an intermediate user (defined by having a through knowledge of most common software; being able to program in at least one language including C++, Visual Basic, HTML, Java, etc.; and having a working knowledge of hardware) then a Mac is going to leave you wanting at times.  Youíll never be able to open up your computer and upgrade your RAM, or switch out your processor.  You will have to invent special new ways to gain compatibility with those totally rad new programs that all your computer friends are programming.  It would be kind of like wanting to be in the Global Marketing Business and not be able to understand a single word of English.

If you consider yourself an advanced user then you have a choice to make.  Do you want to use your machine for graphic rendering (3D, multi-layer, etc.) or are you just wanting a ton of ass to compile all that C++ you stitched together during your all night programming bender?  If you want a machine for graphic rendering then Mac is your machine, otherwise a PC is the way to go.

If seems to me that the vast number of people who surf this message board would be much better off with a Mac.  If you didnít grow up typing in DOS then you probably wonít be dissatisfied with the Mac. 

If you are going to use your computer for nothing more than E-mail, occasional light surfing of the web, and Office functions then Mac it up if you really want to.
I'm really happy with my school!!!

jeffislouie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 11:52:29 AM »
Ok, so I have vowed to myself that I will never buy another PC (for obvious reasons)...but, I know that my LS uses IBM databases, etc.  From what I have gathered from some techie-types, I can install Parallels on a Macbook and use all IBM databases, etc. without worry. (I assume this means even if I use a Mac for a clerkship, job, etc.)

Any thoughts? 

Oh, and I REALLY, REALLY want the Macbook... aside from all the needs for a new laptop.

Thanks!

LoL.... "IBM databases"....
Try to keep up.  What you mean is that your school uses microsoft windows.
He he.  You sound like my grandfather talking about computers in the 80's.
:-)
Seriously though, the issue isn't the 'databases'.  The issue is usually support, connectivity, access to servers, etc.  Instead of doing like others here and making this a discussion over which is better, I'll give the best advice you could get:
Call your school and ask them.  Most schools will flat out tell you if you can use a mac or if they recommend a pc.
By the way (I can't resist), what are the "obvious reasons" for not wanting a PC?  (I assume you are talking about a notebook).
Is it the cute commercials that have convinced you that Mac is better?
Have you ever used a mac?  They are easier to run, but have their own set of issues (including the fact that most university help desks are lucky to have one mac expert available and, you know, the fact that they cost far, far more than a non-mac).
I've owned half a dozen computers, and the newest one has been the most reliable (by far) and is faster than my friends macbook pro.
It has never crashed.  It always starts up.  It runs like a champ.
Most people who want to switch have destroyed their own computers and are looking for a system that is less prone to crashing.  The mac CAN do that, but it's going to cost you twice as much.....
Justice is tangy....

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 12:01:14 PM »
I think the argument that Mac's cost twice as much is outdated.  You are certainly spending a little more for a Mac but the price is comparable to other laptops.  Let's be honest you are paying for a brand or an image.  Are there fewer virii on Macs?  Absolutely, but that is only a benefit to people who aren't idiots.  Do they have a better reputation for reliability?  Yes, but only when comparing budget laptops vs moderately priced laptops (i.e. Dell Inspiron vs Macbook).  Is it worth it?  Entirely up to the end user.  I for one am buying a Macbook for law school for no other reason than I am tired of looking at the Windows interface after 8 years as a daily user. 

The Knight

• Not URM, just dark. I know...it's weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 04:56:07 PM »
Iím going to ahead and throw in on this topicÖ

If you are going to use your computer for nothing more than E-mail, occasional light surfing of the web, and Office functions then Mac it up if you really want to.

I just re-read this and I really feel like I need to add that Mac computers are dumb.  They are an answer to the below-average ability to use a computer that so many people possess.  I dislike them and all that they stand for.

All that being said, I'm sorry I wasn't able to keep my negativity out of the issue.  I shouldn't hit the post button, but I'm going to anyway.  F-'in Macs.
I'm really happy with my school!!!

Law Boy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 06:35:44 PM »
i was the biggest windows person ever.  i just bought a macbook and ill never go back.  windows is for all intents and purposes, a joke.

Remedialone

• Patriotism is the refuge of a scoundrel.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »

I just re-read this and I really feel like I need to add that Mac computers are dumb.  They are an answer to the below-average ability to use a computer that so many people possess.  I dislike them and all that they stand for.

All that being said, I'm sorry I wasn't able to keep my negativity out of the issue.  I shouldn't hit the post button, but I'm going to anyway.  F-'in Macs.

I believe in the industry we refer to this as PEBKAC.  Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair.  Remember, there are no stupid computers, just stupid people who use computers. ;)