Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Style  (Read 2491 times)

guatibiri

• View Profile
Law School Style
« on: May 14, 2008, 10:51:37 AM »
I'm not a thug, I'm a 0L aspiring to Law School.  But I am a "Nuyorican" and I haven't seen anyone who dresses like me in law school.  I'm sorry, I just prefer Jordans to jesus sandals, I wear earrings, I like clothes that match and dressing fly.  Of course whenever I've visited schools I've gone in suits, because I thought thats just what you do in law school.  When I get there alot of people are wearing their everyday bummy clothes.  And it strikes me from these forums, and from my interactions at law school and with lawyers, that people in the legal profession are especially judgemental when it comes to appearance and style.  Obviously I know how to dress professionally, but in law school do people dress casually to go to class, and if so is it only "white people casual" vs. what someone like me would normally wear?  Are professors as judgmental as I suspect they are?  What are the limits to clothing style in law school, or rather what should I NOT wear in law school? 

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Style
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 10:56:34 AM »
hoodies everywhere.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

ExpLo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 01:24:57 PM »
I am also pondering this question.  I was getting ready to donate all my "ghetto' clothes to the salvation army.  I'm from the southside of Chicago.   ;D

t L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 03:33:53 PM »
Wear whatever you want.  I don't think anybody is going to care.  I would tone it down just a lil' bit though.
Michigan 2L

You've Got Mail

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 03:45:19 PM »
lol

no one will care...wear whatever you want!

to argue is to infringe on your rights as a person!

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
Wear whatever you want.  I don't think anybody is going to care.  I would tone it down just a lil' bit though.

I wouldn't.

Rock your Jordans!!!!!
Columbia 3L

PAlllDay

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 07:10:40 PM »
I'm rocking Dickies and a white T...and blasting "$#@% the Police" on my Ipod in the elevators on the fist day.. ;D

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 04:30:03 PM »
Most people don't care.  But there's always a few.

One guy wore a du-rag and Timbalands everyday to class.  Boogie black folks had a lot to say about it.  I just thought it was odd because it was hot as hell to be wearing some Tims in August but other than that no one really cared.  I wasn't in his section as a 1L but I heard one professor mentioned something to him.  It may make you a target by some professors because they may assume things about you.  But overall, I think most professors and other students don't care. 
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

myfriendtoldmeimkeen

• View Profile
    • Why White People are so Smart
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 04:32:02 PM »
I'm not a thug, I'm a 0L aspiring to Law School.  But I am a "Nuyorican" and I haven't seen anyone who dresses like me in law school.  I'm sorry, I just prefer Jordans to jesus sandals, I wear earrings, I like clothes that match and dressing fly.  Of course whenever I've visited schools I've gone in suits, because I thought thats just what you do in law school.  When I get there alot of people are wearing their everyday bummy clothes.  And it strikes me from these forums, and from my interactions at law school and with lawyers, that people in the legal profession are especially judgemental when it comes to appearance and style.  Obviously I know how to dress professionally, but in law school do people dress casually to go to class, and if so is it only "white people casual" vs. what someone like me would normally wear?  Are professors as judgmental as I suspect they are?  What are the limits to clothing style in law school, or rather what should I NOT wear in law school? 

Where did you go for UG? Did you live in a small town/ go to a small school?

Also, way to make this a minority topic lol... I'm sure no non-minority (white people) have this problem. /sarcasm
Pretending to be black all day errrrrrr day. Can't stop won't stop.