Law School Discussion

[Deleted]

[Deleted]
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:36:35 AM »
[Deleted]

Re: High Undergrad GPA, but Low GPA in Master's Program
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:12 AM »
A pretty common scenario is the reverse of yours: poor UGPA but good grades in grad school. The conventional thinking on those seems to be that undergrad matters more since that's what gets reported to ABA (and consequently USNWR), but that grad school success is a good soft factor. Interestingly, you may be the rare person with a negative soft factor (although getting a grad degree, especially in a science, is probably still a net positive, I would think).

That said, if the same logic holds as with candidates in your opposite position, then it would seem that you would be admitted or rejected based primarily on your 3.91 (or whatever LSAC re-computes that to be) but if you're on the fence of accept/reject, then schools will look at other stuff (like graduate degrees) to finish out that last segment of the class.

Of course, because your GPA is so high, I would imagine most schools would love to have you. If you do well on the LSAT (especially in the 170 neighborhood) and you should get in pretty much anywhere, masters degree be damned.

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 09:03:25 AM »
It may hurt you a little, but its not like you are doing English.  If I were an adcomm I would be much more willing to overlook so-so grades in a masters program of organic chemistry than I would in say English.  Regardless your undergraduate gpa is by far your most important gpa.

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 10:12:46 AM »
Is there a reason it's relatively low? Sure, a 3.3 after a 3.9 looks bad, but adcomms aren't stupid. They will look for context to explain the GPA, like whether or not a 3.3 is actually really impressive in the subject or whatever.

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 02:22:40 PM »
Grad GPA, in fact, Grad degree, has no discernible impact on law school admission in my experience.  The only thing that mattered was UGPA and LSAT.  In fact, soft factors were, for me, so soft that I would have had the same outcomes with none of them.

It may hurt you a little, but its not like you are doing English.  If I were an adcomm I would be much more willing to overlook so-so grades in a masters program of organic chemistry than I would in say English.  Regardless your undergraduate gpa is by far your most important gpa.

Seriously?  Reasoning, reading, and writing skills you develop earning a grad degree in English are much more useful/applicable to law school than organic chemistry.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 01:30:58 PM »

Seriously?  Reasoning, reading, and writing skills you develop earning a grad degree in English are much more useful/applicable to law school than organic chemistry.
Hence why a demonstration of incompetence in the subject would be more worrying...

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 11:20:05 AM »
3.31 is hardly incompetence...