Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about taking advantage of AA  (Read 2669 times)

BobWatson

• View Profile
Re: Question about taking advantage of AA
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2008, 12:16:28 AM »
Are you saying he's breaking the law by doing this? The way I see it, he's reinforcing it....

No, Iím saying that just because itís possible to do something without technically breaking any rules does not mean that it is the right thing to do.

I said it was some random fraction(by random I mean obscure), and it actually isn't 1/67... He is actually 1/50 Native American. Now we feel much better about it, because 1/67 would have been pushing it....

You really do not understand how family tree fractions work do you?  So what youíre saying is, five of his great great great great great great grandparents were Native American, and youíre rounding for some reason?

myfriendtoldmeimkeen

• View Profile
    • Why White People are so Smart
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2008, 01:51:54 AM »
Are you saying he's breaking the law by doing this? The way I see it, he's reinforcing it....

No, I’m saying that just because it’s possible to do something without technically breaking any rules does not mean that it is the right thing to do.

I said it was some random fraction(by random I mean obscure), and it actually isn't 1/67... He is actually 1/50 Native American. Now we feel much better about it, because 1/67 would have been pushing it....

You really do not understand how family tree fractions work do you?  So what you’re saying is, five of his great great great great great great grandparents were Native American, and you’re rounding for some reason?

Ok, if you don't think he is breaking the law, I don't know what you meant by "sneaking around the law". Also, I'M not saying he is a Native American, this card he got does. I'm tyring to get opinions on the AA part, not see people be like "OMG WTF HE"S NOT NATIVE AMERICAN LAWL."
Pretending to be black all day errrrrrr day. Can't stop won't stop.

Bulldog86

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2008, 02:03:32 AM »
Quote from: myfriendtoldmeimkeen link=topic=4010486.msg5102178#msg5102178
Ok, if you don't think he is breaking the law, I don't know what you meant by "sneaking around the law". Also, I'M not saying he is a Native American, this card he got does. I'm tyring to get opinions on the AA part, not see people be like "OMG WTF HE"S NOT NATIVE AMERICAN LAWL."

Tell us about this card! That's actually really important, and if he has a government or tribal document saying he's Native American, then most of the above advice is moot and he can put it down without being ethically suspect (though it may not help much if he's not a "real" NA).

BTW, the fraction you're looking for is almost certainly 1/64 or 1/32 unless there is a lot of intermarriage or something weird like that in his family's recent past.
UVA Law Class of 2011

myfriendtoldmeimkeen

• View Profile
    • Why White People are so Smart
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008, 02:18:47 AM »
Quote from: myfriendtoldmeimkeen link=topic=4010486.msg5102178#msg5102178

Tell us about this card! That's actually really important, and if he has a government or tribal document saying he's Native American, then most of the above advice is moot and he can put it down without being ethically suspect (though it may not help much if he's not a "real" NA).

BTW, the fraction you're looking for is almost certainly 1/64 or 1/32 unless there is a lot of intermarriage or something weird like that in his family's recent past.

I'll try to get a picture of the card and post a link. That's what the card says, 1/50.

And did you think he was stupid enough to just put he is a NA without proof? LOL he has a gov't issued card verifying he is 1/50 NAtive American.. I asked him about the weird fraction, and he said he didn't want to talk about it lol... I would not be surprised if his family possibly had some intermarriage.

EDIT: And we're not trying to pretend like he is a, "real" NA. We are trying to pretend it will give him a slight bump as an extra soft factor.
Pretending to be black all day errrrrrr day. Can't stop won't stop.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2008, 05:33:41 AM »
I'll try to get a picture of the card and post a link. That's what the card says, 1/50.

I call shenanigans.
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.

BobWatson

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2008, 08:31:12 AM »

I really hope this IS shenanigans, if someone doesn't get the concept of an analogy.  It's like:

putting NA on your app because it's technically true : not putting it on your app because you know it would grant you an unfair advantage when you're not really even connected to the culture :: sneaking around laws : doing the right thing

negativeexternality

• emory 2011 - i can has law degree?!?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jbeckett72
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »
Lots of people have Native American blood in them. Because of that, I think that's one ethnicity that does get questioned a lot, especially if he doesn't identify at all with it or have any sort of tribal ID or anything.

uh, yeah. . . being 1/64 indian (has to be 1/64, right?  1/67 doesn't make any sense.  it should all be in multiples of two) means that his great-great-great-great-grandparent was native american, which i'm sure is awfully common in this country given our history and the way bloodlines tend to intermingle.  i can't see any way that would help him--it seems like grasping at straws. . .  i don't know that it hurts him, but there's certainly no way that it could give him a bump.  if there is, i would lose faith in the entire LS application process. 
°si me gusta!: W&L ($$$), W&M ($$), ND ($$), Emory ($$$), OSU ($$), GMU, Fordham ($), some other TTTs (no, really, i hate that term)

just friends: vandy, BC, GWU

modus pwned: Michigan, UVa

WTFMAKEADECISION!!!1!: WUSTL

devilishlyblue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »
i would lose faith in the entire LS application process. 

... shouldn't that have happened for most people for lots of other reasons? ;)

mbw

• LSD Obsessed
  • TTTundra Law 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2008, 10:02:45 AM »
This "card" you're describing is called a CDIB - Certified Degree of Indian Blood.  It does not indicate tribal affiliation, only some lineal descent.  For tribal affiliation, he would have to be enrolled in a tribe - the two are not exclusive, i.e., you can have a CDIB, but not be enrolled, you can be enrolled and not have a CDIB.

Adcomms are looking almost exclusively at tribal affiliation in AI/NA applicants.  CDIB means squat, as "Indianness" is not a racial, but political designation in the US (versus in Canada, where there are "status" Indians.)  Many law schools actually ask for tribal affiliation and cultural involvement. 

Your friend is frankly playing with fire.  Only 700 applicants who claim to be Indian apply to law school every year, and less than 400 actually matriculate - the lowest of any tracked ethnic/racial grouping.  This, despite having the highest LSAT average of all URM groups.  With so few applicants, you don't think Adcomms can more closely inspect this pool, pick out the impostors? I have friends who sit on Adcomms who tell stories about the plastic indians who have tried to use their CIPAs (Cherokee Indian Princess Ancestor) as a purported "bump".  This is truly one instance where such a "fib" can hurt more than help.

Post-Grutter, and in light of ABA's revision of Standard 211, schools are looking for "diversity", not pure numbers - the only diversity your friend offers is stupidity and mendacity, neither of which are underrepresented in law schools today.  In addition, if your friend is accepted based on his specious claims, he will be outed to the school's actual native students before he even walks in the door; I'm sure they'll make him feel welcome.
I'm in a lynch mob?  I had no idea.  This is really worrying; I really don't have time for another extra-curricular activity.

space for rent.

pig floyd

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2008, 10:13:15 AM »
 :)
I hate science because I refuse to assume that a discipline based in large part on the continual scrapping and renewal of ideas is unconditionally correct in a given area.