Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Grad Plus VS Private, let's discuss  (Read 12302 times)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Grad Plus VS Private, let's discuss
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2008, 01:50:38 PM »
How much will the T2 student make 5 years down the road?  10 years?

I guess if you look far enough into the future, it becomes easier to lie to yourself.

Enjoy working as a bartender to pay them off. http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/magazine/chi-080406lawyerwoes-story,0,5547944.story

You only answered one of my questions.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2008, 02:25:02 PM »
Bottom line is you should never borrow $150,000 to attend a teir 2. Take the scholarship at a tier 3/4. No one cares about the difference between Brooklyn and Pace.

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2008, 03:03:25 PM »
Bottom line is you should never borrow $150,000 to attend a teir 2. Take the scholarship at a tier 3/4. No one cares about the difference between Brooklyn and Pace.

Okay, so now that it's too late to apply your wisdom, and I'm already going to the University of Kansas, (fantastic school, btw) why don't you start helping people make the most of their situation.
Try to use that irritating persistance of yours and do some research on the topic.
If a person does need to borrow 35k a year, should they do stafford and Plus loans, or stafford and private?  You can even pretend we're talking about a top 14 school if it makes it easier for you.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2008, 03:19:55 PM »

You still haven't answered them.  And you're still wrong.  And please check your spelling.

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2008, 04:14:51 PM »
The proof is right here. You gain no advantage on the market by attending a tier 2 over a tier 3/4. Really you shouldn't be going ot law school at all, but if you insist on going you can at least stay out of the student loan hole.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045

wiimote

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2008, 04:20:45 PM »
Okay, so now that it's too late to apply your wisdom, and I'm already going to the University of Kansas . . ..

It's not too late at all. It's not even June yet.

Kansas law:
Starting Salaries 2006 Graduates   
Median in the private sector  $56,500 
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information  62 % 
Median in public service  $48,500 

jack24

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2008, 04:23:29 PM »
The proof is right here. You gain no advantage on the market by attending a tier 2 over a tier 3/4. Really you shouldn't be going ot law school at all, but if you insist on going you can at least stay out of the student loan hole.

http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1207904900045
Okay, so now that it's too late to apply your wisdom, and I'm already going to the University of Kansas . . ..

It's not too late at all. It's not even June yet.

Kansas law:
Starting Salaries 2006 Graduates  
Median in the private sector  $56,500 
Percent in the private sector who reported salary information  62 % 
Median in public service  $48,500 

Do you think I'm not intelligent enough to understand the risks? Do you think I don't know how to access USNews rankings or school employment data?  Maybe you think I just chose my law school based on march madness. 

Anyway, I'm more interested in hearing from people who can get over themselves and give good advice about the topic.

EDIT:
When I said it's too late, I meant that it's too late to go to the T3 school with the scholarship.  I posted the T3 with $$$ vs T2 with no money thread months ago..  Where were you on that one moron?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2008, 04:27:25 PM »
If you're going to a tier 2 law school, the credited response is neither. You can't afford to pay back $150,000 of debt with a $50,000 a year job.

The troll strikes again.

The troll is wrong again.

How much will the T2 student make 5 years down the road?  10 years?

When will you lose your virginity?  5 years?  10 years?

Thanks...

antaresvi

• Sr. Citizen
  • law school.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 01:51:18 AM »
OK, back to topic. I've been approved for a prime -.5% private loan, but I can't seem to get over the possibility that down the road, a variable rate could really hurt. I have seen the Wachovia gradplus loan that refunds 3% and offers 1% off the rate through incentives (on-time payments and ACH). Obviously if Prime stays relatively stable, the private loan makes a ton more sense, but would it be stupid to take the sure thing and pay more?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 11:31:00 AM »
What is the difference in the 5% loan v. the 8.5 grad plus?  Is peace of mind worth paying a little bit extra for?  Does the rate matter once you graduate and consolidate?

In other words, I have no idea what the answer is to your questions but I think this is a good place to start...