Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: PT to FT at Fordham - OCI?  (Read 1702 times)

rosalita

• View Profile
PT to FT at Fordham - OCI?
« on: May 13, 2008, 11:20:43 AM »
Hi Everyone,
I am considering attending Fordham's PT program, and switching to FT after the first year (I will need to take two summer classes 1L summer to be caught up).

I know that I want NYC Biglaw - is there any disadvantage to being a PT to FT student? Will firms discrimintae in any way? Do any Fordham students know of any issues with OCI pertaining to PT to FT students?

I am weighing this against other FT options (ranked similarly to Fordham) but that are not in NYC.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: PT to FT at Fordham - OCI?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 12:06:45 PM »
totally anecdotal but I knew a guy who was part time to full time at BLS and was at a v10 with me. Did not seem to think the part time thing hurt him. Of course, being top 3 in his class didn't hurt.

Veil

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 11:03:41 AM »
Doesn't hurt you at OCI at all. However, know that your summer grades will be available to employers by the time OCI rolls around. Though many firms you interview with will not ask for an updated transcript, I know of a few people who may have been hurt during the OCI process due to their summer grades...

If you go abroad during the summer to catch up on credits, whatever grades you get overseas will not count towards your GPA. You could rack up a bunch of C's and noone would ever know (and trust me, it happens!).

tobias

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jaray02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 04:30:50 AM »
Everyone has to take either Con Law or Civ Pro after 1L. (then you take the other that fall) That summer you need at least two more credits--most people take an externship, usually in crim justice, other gov or public interest, or with a judge, which you get two credits for doing (technically there is also a "class" that goes along with it but it meets a handful of times over the summer and doesn't require actual work). The summer grade seems to not always come up during EIW because it takes professors FOREVER to get grades in--it will probably show up on your transcript by the time fall OCI rolls around, though. But assuming you don't totally screw up the summer course, and there really isn't any reason why you would assuming you did well the first year, switching from PT to FT will, based on the experiences of my classmates anyway, have zero impact on your prospects. My 1L year I went on eleven interviews and no one even asked about it.

Orbits

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 09:42:56 PM »
Everyone has to take either Con Law or Civ Pro after 1L. (then you take the other that fall) That summer you need at least two more credits--most people take an externship, usually in crim justice, other gov or public interest, or with a judge, which you get two credits for doing (technically there is also a "class" that goes along with it but it meets a handful of times over the summer and doesn't require actual work). The summer grade seems to not always come up during EIW because it takes professors FOREVER to get grades in--it will probably show up on your transcript by the time fall OCI rolls around, though. But assuming you don't totally screw up the summer course, and there really isn't any reason why you would assuming you did well the first year, switching from PT to FT will, based on the experiences of my classmates anyway, have zero impact on your prospects. My 1L year I went on eleven interviews and no one even asked about it.

did you work while in part time?