Law School Discussion

Uconn ($) vs BLS ($$$) vs Another Cycle

Re: Uconn ($) vs BLS ($$$) vs Another Cycle
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 03:53:52 PM »
I can't believe the stupid responses you are getting.  This is a total no-brainer.  REAPPLY next year.  With your numbers, you could easily be getting some fairly decent cash to T30 schools (with the possibility of some elite acceptances or big$ if you honestly think you can get a better LSAT).  And unless your scholarship is something special, BLS usually has pretty bad requirements for their scholarships, which means you could definitely lose it.  One more year off will not harm you in any way.  I recommend looking for a service job (Americorps or the like) because it boosts your application, resume and is just generally a good experience.  Either that, or bust your ass and save up money then go to guatemala and volunteer for awhile like I did.  Seriously, reapply and you won't regret it at all.  I did exactly that and could not possibly be happier with that decision. 

PS. It's time to grow up and live your life for your decisions instead of worrying too much about mom and dad.  You might be surprised that they respect you for it.     

It's stupid to pose questions for the OP to consider about school and his own personal decision making process?  Why can't you just give your input without calling people's responses (who are just trying to help someone out who asked for it) "stupid"?

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 04:01:19 PM »
I can't believe the stupid responses you are getting.  This is a total no-brainer.  REAPPLY next year.  With your numbers, you could easily be getting some fairly decent cash to T30 schools (with the possibility of some elite acceptances or big$ if you honestly think you can get a better LSAT).  And unless your scholarship is something special, BLS usually has pretty bad requirements for their scholarships, which means you could definitely lose it.  One more year off will not harm you in any way.  I recommend looking for a service job (Americorps or the like) because it boosts your application, resume and is just generally a good experience.  Either that, or bust your ass and save up money then go to guatemala and volunteer for awhile like I did.  Seriously, reapply and you won't regret it at all.  I did exactly that and could not possibly be happier with that decision. 

PS. It's time to grow up and live your life for your decisions instead of worrying too much about mom and dad.  You might be surprised that they respect you for it.     

It's stupid to pose questions for the OP to consider about school and his own personal decision making process?  Why can't you just give your input without calling people's responses (who are just trying to help someone out who asked for it) "stupid"?

Because saying that a full scholarship to BLS with this guys number is "great" is uninformed.  This guys numbers are WAAAAY better than his options right now, so anything other than an emphatic reapply is kind of dumb.

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2008, 04:04:55 PM »
That's your opinion, and it's good that you stated it.  Most of us who posted were just posing questions for thought to the OP, so you don't need to lump everyone and say the responses were stupid. It's just rude!

« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 05:14:46 AM »

Out of curiosity, what amazing options do you expect this OP to have? His LSAT is good, but not great. His GPA is below average. http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/asc/LawSchool/2008 Looking at this chart, he is on the low end for every T14, and will *maybe* get into Cornell. You said he'll get "fairly decent cash to T30," but his GPA/ LSAT combo is *slightly* above average for Fordham. Sure, he applied late. Maybe he'll get a few more acceptances if he applies earlier next cycle, but I think your expectations are too high. This isn't a "total no-brainer."

« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2008, 09:57:57 AM »

Out of curiosity, what amazing options do you expect this OP to have? His LSAT is good, but not great. His GPA is below average. http://www.ilrg.com/rankings/law/index.php/1/asc/LawSchool/2008 Looking at this chart, he is on the low end for every T14, and will *maybe* get into Cornell. You said he'll get "fairly decent cash to T30," but his GPA/ LSAT combo is *slightly* above average for Fordham. Sure, he applied late. Maybe he'll get a few more acceptances if he applies earlier next cycle, but I think your expectations are too high. This isn't a "total no-brainer."

I agree with this. OP needs to really consider how much of a better chance he stands to gain admissions to schools he/she would be happy attending. Surely if re-applying OP can get into higher ranked schools but that does not mean it is wise because OP might not be willing to attend said schools if they are not within a certain geographic region or meet certain criteria. It seems from OP's current options the focus has been on the NYish area. If OP is only willing to attend school near NY then Cornell and Fordhman seem to be good targets with OPs numbers, but admission to either is not a "total no-brainer" and the possibility exists that OP could wind up in same situation he is now, essentially wasting 1 year.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2008, 10:14:56 AM »
I think the OP said he'd ideally be in California.  Most of the top California schools are GPA-focused and will not like that GPA.  I'm sure some top-tier schools are within reach, but I don't know about major money. 

My advice is simple: you shouldn't go to law school (this year) if your only options are places where you wouldn't be happy because it is a serious commitment.  That said, you should be realistic about your options next year.  If your choices are going to be Fordham with no money vs. Brookyn with money next year, and you don't have any plans for the year, you should consider going for Brooklyn with money this year or forgoing law school altogether (or developing a better application over the next several years through a graduate degree, good work experience, higher LSAT score, etc.).

Also, MajorMajor, Brooklyn scholarships don't "usually [have] pretty bad" retention requirements: the standards are the same for every student in a class and clearly published on the website.  They have also improved a lot in the last few years.  I have posted many times that I am concerned about the poor scholarship retention rates at Brooklyn, but I don't think you should use this as a reason to poo-poo a $40K offer unless you take the time to learn something about the school.

ETA: OP, if you do take a year off, try for Hastings.  I don't know about people with numbers like yours, but I remember thinking that it was moderately splitter-friendly when I was deciding where to apply, so it may be less focused on GPA than the other California publics.

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2008, 12:29:51 PM »
I got into the University of Minnesota with some $. Problem solved! I'll just hold my status at a couple CA schools I'm wait listed at, until July at least.

« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
Congratulations. Best of luck to you.

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
Congratulations. Best of luck to you.

Ditto.