Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Uconn ($) vs BLS ($$$) vs Another Cycle  (Read 1595 times)

tubey11

• View Profile
Uconn ($) vs BLS ($$$) vs Another Cycle
« on: May 13, 2008, 07:56:16 AM »
--$40k to Brooklyn Law School (full tuition)
--Small grant at University of Connecticut
--T1 wait lists I don't see panning out
--3.35/167
--I applied very late in the cycle, the week prior to application deadlines

I didn't take this cycle very seriously. I feel that I could have gotten into my top choices, possibly with $, if I had done so. I'm happy with my score, but it was below what I was testing at. My essays were thrown together at the last minute, but were received well enough to earn me acceptances at the T2's I applied to, as well as WL's to all my T1's. The idea of debt is causing a lot of serious anxiety for me. Coupled with the fact that I'm not very excited about either one of these schools, I'm considering reapplying next cycle. This would probaly get me disowned from my family since I've already taken a year off. Am I crazy to take another year off and do this again? I would plan on having my essays done well in advance of the date schools begin accepting applications, and possibly retaking the LSAT. Should I just suck it up and go? I could really use some outside perspective and suggestions, thanks.

iceepop

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Uconn ($) vs BLS ($$$) vs Another Cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 08:54:12 AM »
I'd say go to Brooklyn unless the scholarship requirements are anything crazy.  You're looking at a full ride to a good school.

I don't think you should take another year off.  If you had a whole year off already and already applied late, what makes you think you'll be any more motivated the next time around?

So yeah, go to BLS or don't go to law school (if you're not passionate about it), IMO.

cannotpick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Schedule days to visit the schools and see if you are still lukewarm about them.
'08 graduate of Brooklyn Law

...The Dude abides...

imagurl

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 11:31:52 AM »
Are you sure you even want to go to law school?  If this would be your second time postponing a year maybe you aren't too psyched about going at all.  Is there a dream school(s) that you would like to attend if you had the chance?  Where do you want to practice?  BLS on a full schol. is great, unless you will regret it and think "what if" all year.

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 04:10:16 PM »
Are you sure you even want to go to law school?  If this would be your second time postponing a year maybe you aren't too psyched about going at all.  Is there a dream school(s) that you would like to attend if you had the chance?  Where do you want to practice?  BLS on a full schol. is great, unless you will regret it and think "what if" all year.

If I have any doubts about going it's because I sold myself short during the application process and have been thinking "what if". I don't want to commit the rest of my life to a place I'm not 100% about, if there’s a chance I can go to a better school, while alleviating a large amount of debt. Shouldn't I reapply properly? And I meant that I took a year off between undergrad and law school to apply, would ideally stay in California, for school and to practice.

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 04:25:23 PM »
I'd say go to Brooklyn unless the scholarship requirements are anything crazy.  You're looking at a full ride to a good school.

I don't think you should take another year off.  If you had a whole year off already and already applied late, what makes you think you'll be any more motivated the next time around?

So yeah, go to BLS or don't go to law school (if you're not passionate about it), IMO.

I’m definitely more motivated now. If I can half-ass my applications and get in I figure if I gave them the amount of attention they deserve I would get into the schools I wanted.

barrygoodlife

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 06:02:14 PM »
Visit the schools---why waste another year?

tubey11

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2008, 02:31:45 PM »
Any more input? I have to make a non-refundable deposit by the end of the week..

Yossarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2008, 02:35:40 PM »
Any more input? I have to make a non-refundable deposit by the end of the week..

Which schools out there would you be excited about attending?
W&L '11

MajorMajorMajorMajor

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2008, 05:41:17 PM »
I can't believe the stupid responses you are getting.  This is a total no-brainer.  REAPPLY next year.  With your numbers, you could easily be getting some fairly decent cash to T30 schools (with the possibility of some elite acceptances or big$ if you honestly think you can get a better LSAT).  And unless your scholarship is something special, BLS usually has pretty bad requirements for their scholarships, which means you could definitely lose it.  One more year off will not harm you in any way.  I recommend looking for a service job (Americorps or the like) because it boosts your application, resume and is just generally a good experience.  Either that, or bust your ass and save up money then go to guatemala and volunteer for awhile like I did.  Seriously, reapply and you won't regret it at all.  I did exactly that and could not possibly be happier with that decision. 

PS. It's time to grow up and live your life for your decisions instead of worrying too much about mom and dad.  You might be surprised that they respect you for it.