Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would really appreciate help, I messed up  (Read 1515 times)

highhopes967

• View Profile
Would really appreciate help, I messed up
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:01:26 AM »
Hey Everyone, I would like people's feedback on my sitaution, especially if this has happened to you or someone you know.

I am in my last year of college and all about ready to be done. I already into law school and sent my seat deposit for full time in the fall. I'm pretty sure, that I failed one class,however, and I will need to take 1 or 2 during the summer. I would be done by august 13th at the latest. Two questions:

How unsual is this to happen, and does it affect my placement and scholarship at my law school.

Should I tell my law school what happened? I am not sure when I need to send final undergrad transcripts does anyone know? Anyone who has been in a similar situation please help, yes I was an idiot but senioritis was hard and now i'll pay for it during the summer.

My classes start August 21st. On one hand I want to tell them on the other hand I think, there really isn't a requirment that I finish by May, but I don't know, people give me some feedback/advice, yes I know I should've done better, what can I say.

mutual_biscuit

• View Profile
Re: Would really appreciate help, I messed up
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 07:29:42 AM »
If you're failing undergrad classes you probably don't quite have the mental maturity for law school. I'd take a year off and make sure you know what you're doing prior to throwing away all the $ and time that is law school.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 08:12:38 AM »
You may not be able to start school - your law school will ask for a transcript showing you've graduated.  If you've failed 2 classes, and have to take them over the summer, and they don't end until Aug 13, it's doubtful that your school will have an updated official transcript ready to send and in your law school's hands before you begin classes on the 21st.  This is just a possibility - if you failed, you need to talk to your school about when they need final undergrad transcripts and if you can start classes.

And of course, there's always the possibility that if you fail 2 classes, you school may rescind its offer to attend.  It shows an incredible lack of either maturity or judgment on your part (absent some serious personal circumstances/emergencies - senioritis doesn't count).  If I were an adcom, I'd question whether my school might not be better off with someone from the waitlist.

And that's again something you'll have to discuss with your school once you find out what happened.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 08:16:24 AM »
Ditto to all that's been said.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 08:45:38 AM »
Whatever you do, you have to notify your LS as soon as you know.  If you try to withhold the info, it will bite you in the asz when your school finds out.  Also, during your C&F interview when you sit for the bar, your secret will be aired.  Then you have screwed the pooch. 

You are a dipshit for failing your class(es).  But, there are many dipshits in this world, so get over it.  Don't hide it, because then you will be a lying sack of shhit.  Not worth it. 

full disclosure...

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 10:57:03 AM »
Thanks for the honest talk guys keep it coming I appreciate it.

Just to clarify, I won't fail the class, its just I won't recieve a grade high enough for it to count towards my major requirements, and it is one class, not two.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 11:07:33 AM »
and it wasn't just senioritis. Although that was part of it, during the week of exams I was admitted to the hospital for food posioning, I don't know if that matters.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 11:38:12 AM »
and it wasn't just senioritis. Although that was part of it, during the week of exams I was admitted to the hospital for food posioning, I don't know if that matters.

hell yes it matters...don't mention the senoritis to the LS...

If you disclose on the front end what your deal is and volunteer some medical documentation ...and the fact that you did NOT fail, and can evidence to the LS that you will get your necessary credits in prior to start of LS...I would think admissions would be far less likely to rescind an offer. 

Ultimately leaving you where you are now...good luck with that messy shiit...but I think you can come out unscathed. 

vegemite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 12:20:38 PM »
During my final semester of undergrad I missed 2 finals for a valid reason. I went to the profs and they both passed me without having to take the exams. One gave me a C and the other gave me a D. I wrote a letter to my school explaining what had happened and nobody said boo. I've been here 2 years now and they haven't kicked me out yet, haha.
Maybe you should go to your profs and tell them what happened. It's always best to explain it so they don't just put it down to senioritis.

highhopes967

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 10:51:46 PM »
Hey everyone, turns out I got a C+ in that class i thought I wasn't going to pass. Thank God, thanks though, If it makes anyone day feel better I was in a mini-hell for about 5 hours