Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Early Can I Start Sending Out Resumes for 2L Summer?  (Read 5287 times)

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
Re: How Early Can I Start Sending Out Resumes for 2L Summer?
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 09:01:47 AM »
Can you send resumes to a firm that coming to your school for OCI if you didn't bid on them on don't think you're gonna get an interview?  Also, can you send stuff by email or does it have to be snail mail?

<--regrets leaving all my resume paper in AA
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2008, 09:14:55 AM »
Pikey... I've heard a lot of people say that email is fine, and that's what I plan to do, particularly since I'm out of the country.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Imactuallya2Lnow

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2008, 09:37:18 AM »
On the journal point, how much distinction do firms make between Law Review and another journal (for schools in top 20 or top 30)?  Especially if you have good grades?  Just curious.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2008, 09:48:02 AM »
Pikey... I've heard a lot of people say that email is fine, and that's what I plan to do, particularly since I'm out of the country.

Good!  That saves me a lot of time and hassle.  I'm gonna be visting one of the markets that I'm interested in before OCI, so I'm wondering if I should contact firms there that are coming on campus.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »
I would contact firms in the area, saying simply that you will be in the city, would be sending a resume and cover letter, and would be available to interview or something like that.  But definitely be clear that the firm is coming to your school.  I have a feeling that if firms are coming to interview at your school, they may just want to  consolidate and review your stuff with everyone else's.  BUT the fact that you're already going to be in the city BEFORE OCI may be an ok exception for them.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2008, 10:13:04 AM »
I would contact firms in the area, saying simply that you will be in the city, would be sending a resume and cover letter, and would be available to interview or something like that.  But definitely be clear that the firm is coming to your school.  I have a feeling that if firms are coming to interview at your school, they may just want to  consolidate and review your stuff with everyone else's.  BUT the fact that you're already going to be in the city BEFORE OCI may be an ok exception for them.

Is this only true if you aren't planning to bid on them during OCI? What if you are planning to bid on the firm, not sure of your chances, but will be in their city before OCI. Will it be overeager to let them know you'll be there and available to meet with them, before they've either accepted/rejected your OCI bid?

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
If it were me, I'd just say all that (you're planning to bid, but will be in the area for a couple of days; you're very interested in the firm, and would be available to meet then, etc).

My guess (and completely a guess), is that it's better to just try and ask - they may have a policy for everyone to funnel people into OCI whenever possible.  If I were recruiting, though, I'd at least ask for a resume from someone in this position - if it was someone I'd be interested, I'd actually rather interview them early, and then open up another slot to see yet another candidate from the school during OCI.  It just makes sense to me to try to interview as many qualified candidates as possible.  But that's just my thinking, and I'm clearly not in position of a firm recruiter.

So I say just ask politely; the worst that happens is they say no, but perhaps make note of your name as being very interested in the firm.

deedeeleigh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2008, 10:44:35 AM »
thanks jacy, I think I'll do that. Would you just drop a note, and not send a resume along with it? I'd think they wouldn't know if they do want to meet someone unless they see their grades (realistically) and for that they'd need a resume as well.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2008, 11:09:03 AM »
I think sending your resume along too would be good.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2008, 11:19:29 PM »
What about a firm that comes to your city to OCI at a higher ranked school, but does not actually conduct OCI at your own school? How does that work? Do you say in the cover letter "I know that you will be in town on XYZ date interviewing students at ABC school, perhaps we could set up an interview since you will be in my city anyway?" Or is that just too ballsy?