Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Early Can I Start Sending Out Resumes for 2L Summer?  (Read 5323 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
How Early Can I Start Sending Out Resumes for 2L Summer?
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:13:26 AM »
Is June 08 too early to start sending out resumes for June 09 2L summer jobs?
Vanderbilt 2010

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: How Early Can I Start Sending Out Resumes for 2L Summer?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:06:59 AM »
Depends on the job. Some firms won't look at them until later, while it helps to have your foot in the door early at others. In any case, it can't hurt. I've seen people do this and score a gig pre-OCI.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

blahblahLAW

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:23:04 PM »
I recently asked my career services counselor the same thing --- she advised no earlier than late July.  Her rationale was pretty sound: firms don't start thinking about the coming year's class until they're wrapping up loose ends with their current class, which usually doesn't happen until late July.

Hope that helps, and hope you're not as worried about the job market as I am! ;)

worldlyjd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 01:50:23 AM »
I think late July might be kind of late?
My school said send them out early July and try to be available to interview in market in early August before school starts.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 03:13:50 AM »
My school said send them out early July and try to be available to interview in market in early August before school starts.

But before we find out whether we've made journals or not?  I would hate to jump the gun and lessen my chances if a particular firm really wants journal experience and assumes I'm not going to have it, since it's not on my resume.
Michigan Law Class of 2010

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 06:59:16 AM »

But before we find out whether we've made journals or not?  I would hate to jump the gun and lessen my chances if a particular firm really wants journal experience and assumes I'm not going to have it, since it's not on my resume.

I don't see why you couldn't simply send an updated resume if you made a journal.  If anything it's more time they spend looking at your name.

I haven't really heard of too many firms caring about journals.

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 07:02:42 AM »

Good point.  Maybe I'll go ahead and get started writing cover letters.

I don't see why you couldn't simply send an updated resume if you made a journal.  If anything it's more time they spend looking at your name.

Michigan Law Class of 2010

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »

Terrible...just terrible.  I don't think the OP's said what school he or she attends.  If it's not Columbia or a T-14, journal becomes more important.  If its a school that's not within the Top 20, and/or the poster isn't ranked in the top 10%, journal/LR takes on even more importance.

But I also think that you maybe be able to update the resume, and have that work out fine.

One suggestion to get a handle on when you should start sending things out is to just call some of the firms you're interested in.  Talk to the recruiting coordinator, ask them when it would be appropriate to send your resume for consideration for the 2009 Summer program

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 08:35:28 AM »
Jacy: A fair point about journals being more or less significant according to school.  I assume that hiring out of Michigan is pretty similar to hiring out of CLS, but I probably should have noted that it was not generally applicable information.  My apologies for the omission.

In any case, my main point is that you can send an updated resume.

Resident CLS Troll

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 08:38:22 AM »
Oh and I mention Michigan because I was addressing flyaway, and I am under the impression that she attends Michigan.