Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UMich vs. UCLA  (Read 3695 times)

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
Re: UMich vs. UCLA
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2008, 01:52:56 PM »
I want to gauge: How important is it to people that the firms they have a chance in are really really really good? Do people REALLY care whether their firm is #5 or #15? Is the 50k difference in salary the deal breakers in situations like MICH v. UCLA?

nike6075

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2008, 02:52:09 PM »
I'm being "insistant" because you're a liar.  Forgive me if I don't believe you after you conveniently "forgot" about Cornell, and even Georgetown as you admit. 

Your "point" is that the top firms care about small differences in prestige, i.e. that between UMich and UCLA.  When your firm interviews at GULC (and GW) level schools this argument is undermined.

And you're an idiot. The prestige difference between UCLA and Michigan is not small.

You're an idiot and you miss the point.  How surprising.  Your "argument" was that a difference in ranking of about 10 points is enough to effect one's employment prospects.  This is presumably why you mentioned your firm (though we all know you were just attempting to brag).  Your self-styled "top firm" recruits at schools around and below UCLA's level, hence your argument is undermined. 

It's no secret that people with Michigan degrees have better employment prospects than people with UCLA degrees. I never said my firm was a top firm. And I never said it was representative. 

I thought you quit.  If you don't work there anymore, it's not 'your firm.'  HTH
dont worry guys, i had lotsof drinks, and now i feel better. hth.

Jerry Maguire

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2008, 02:55:27 PM »
man i need a listing of all the abbreviations in the cyber world. hth?

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2008, 02:57:37 PM »
Hope this helps.  Not to be confused with HTFH.

HTH.
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »
I want to gauge: How important is it to people that the firms they have a chance in are really really really good? Do people REALLY care whether their firm is #5 or #15? Is the 50k difference in salary the deal breakers in situations like MICH v. UCLA?

its not 5 vs 15. You aren't guaranteed a top 5 firm from any school.

notgoingtols

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2008, 09:11:54 AM »
One of my closest buddies just finished up 1L at UCLA.  Given he didn't have your decision to make, as UCLA was the best school that he was accepted to.  But over the course of the year he has done very well academically, ENJOYED his first year and the profs that he got(the first person I met who had positive things to say about CivPro), and was selected to Law Review (it's a write-on, not grade-on process).  All of the big firms had 1L receptions, and the Law Review admits had 2 seperate meals that were run by big firms, as well. 

I know that Michigan is ranked higher, and I'm sure that more doors open for you on the bottom of the Michigan class vs. bottom of the UCLA class.  However, for those that work hard and do well, I don't think that there will be a crappy future up ahead.  I have friends in the middle of LS classes at both schools (finishing 2L) and they all secured good summer associateships.  And I know that for LS that rank is more important than "fit" but they're both really good schools, so if you fit better at one, you're more likely to also perform better because you'll enjoy what you're doing and want to do it well.  I don't know much about the enviro program at either school (as I'm not going to law school), but I know people doing joint JD/MUP degrees with focuses on Environmental and there seem to be opportunities at both.  My advice: visit the schools, talk to profs (there's a faculty directory for a reason), and go with your gut.

Either way, congrats! 

hollowman988

• Sr. Citizen
  • I took her home after midnight...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2008, 05:51:39 PM »
One of my closest buddies just finished up 1L at UCLA.  Given he didn't have your decision to make, as UCLA was the best school that he was accepted to.  But over the course of the year he has done very well academically, ENJOYED his first year and the profs that he got(the first person I met who had positive things to say about CivPro), and was selected to Law Review (it's a write-on, not grade-on process).  All of the big firms had 1L receptions, and the Law Review admits had 2 seperate meals that were run by big firms, as well. 

I know that Michigan is ranked higher, and I'm sure that more doors open for you on the bottom of the Michigan class vs. bottom of the UCLA class.  However, for those that work hard and do well, I don't think that there will be a crappy future up ahead.  I have friends in the middle of LS classes at both schools (finishing 2L) and they all secured good summer associateships.  And I know that for LS that rank is more important than "fit" but they're both really good schools, so if you fit better at one, you're more likely to also perform better because you'll enjoy what you're doing and want to do it well.  I don't know much about the enviro program at either school (as I'm not going to law school), but I know people doing joint JD/MUP degrees with focuses on Environmental and there seem to be opportunities at both.  My advice: visit the schools, talk to profs (there's a faculty directory for a reason), and go with your gut.

Either way, congrats! 

Your buddy already found out he wrote on to law review?
The Victors:
Music to make love to your old lady by?

TraciRai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2008, 09:16:56 PM »
For the OP, what are your plans after school?  If you want to work in govt. or for a non-profit, the lack of debt from UCLA will come in pretty handy.  As much as some people talk up the amazingly giant and yawning gap in opportunities between school #9 and... oh yeah, #16...  The biggest difference in opportunities is the fact that you have fewer options when you are almost 200k in debt, which is not something to take lightly.  Many of your peers will be paying off that debt until they start putting their own kids through school, a depressing thought. 

Also, why the heck would anyone take cold as hell Michigan over year round nice LA?  After many years of freezing my ass off, I have decided that snow is for visiting, not for living in! 

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 06:16:11 AM »
I'm being "insistant" because you're a liar.  Forgive me if I don't believe you after you conveniently "forgot" about Cornell, and even Georgetown as you admit. 

Your "point" is that the top firms care about small differences in prestige, i.e. that between UMich and UCLA.  When your firm interviews at GULC (and GW) level schools this argument is undermined.

And you're an idiot. The prestige difference between UCLA and Michigan is not small.

You're an idiot and you miss the point.  How surprising.  Your "argument" was that a difference in ranking of about 10 points is enough to effect one's employment prospects.  This is presumably why you mentioned your firm (though we all know you were just attempting to brag).  Your self-styled "top firm" recruits at schools around and below UCLA's level, hence your argument is undermined. 

It's no secret that people with Michigan degrees have better employment prospects than people with UCLA degrees. I never said my firm was a top firm. And I never said it was representative. 

I thought you quit.  If you don't work there anymore, it's not 'your firm.'  HTH

where do you people get this *&^%? i am happily employed at the same firm i started at last fall and have no immediate plans for departure.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

GCoop.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »

Either way, congrats! 

Your buddy already found out he wrote on to law review?

I think Eugene Volokh said somewhere that UCLA does theirs over Spring Break.

Which would have been less fun than watching Kitchen Nightmares and Judge Judy all week.