Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Taking a semster off to study  (Read 617 times)

monicakxlu

• View Profile
    • Email
Taking a semster off to study
« on: May 12, 2008, 06:02:05 PM »
Hello
I am going to be junior next fall, and I have been deliberating whether or not I want to begin studying for my lsat next summer (July '09) or to just graduate in 2010, and being my classes that summer in time for the October exam; this way I will have a sufficent amount of time to study and prepare my applications.  I already have all my professors consent for letters of rec and a terrific history professor who will edit my statement. 

But I'm not sure if this is a prudent plan...should I begin my LSAT jounrey after graduating from college?

jammer

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Taking a semster off to study
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 07:26:36 PM »
Hello
I am going to be junior next fall, and I have been deliberating whether or not I want to begin studying for my lsat next summer (July '09) or to just graduate in 2010, and being my classes that summer in time for the October exam; this way I will have a sufficent amount of time to study and prepare my applications.  I already have all my professors consent for letters of rec and a terrific history professor who will edit my statement. 

But I'm not sure if this is a prudent plan...should I begin my LSAT jounrey after graduating from college?

While the LSAT typically requires more preparation than the ACT or SAT, it's not that big of a monster. All you really need to do is get acquainted with the types of questions, and practice over and over. Granted, that takes a lot of time, but not an entire semester, and it's certainly not something you want to take off from an undergrad career to study for. And yeah, applications take a lot of time, but you find that you can easily adapt one application to fit many other schools.

I do, however, recommend a lighter courseload (if your schedule and major allows) when you start preparing for the LSAT. I tried to take 18 hours, work a part time job and stay involved in activities when I started studying, but it got to be too much.

And I don't think it's insane to start preparing for the LSAT after college (which I assume means you'd take a year off?) Taking time off made me appreciate school even more, and it helped give me an idea of whether or not I wanted to go into law and what I'd like to do in law.

carnodel

• My Friends, me, and Steve Nash
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:46:39 PM »

And I don't think it's insane to start preparing for the LSAT after college (which I assume means you'd take a year off?) Taking time off made me appreciate school even more, and it helped give me an idea of whether or not I wanted to go into law and what I'd like to do in law.

A year off is definitely a good idea when considering law school or any graduate study for that matter.  Rushing into it before seeing what other opportunities exist beyond academia I feel is somewhat risky.  Although, many may disgree with me, figuring out what your true desires are and what inspires you is more important than just going to law school just because your buddy's older brother is making 190k a year straight out of school.

Anyway, seriously consider it.  Law school is expensive and would be a drag if you aren't doing what you like.  So, I would suggest not taking a semester off in Undergrad just to focus on the LSAT.  That's a bit ridiculous because it might negatively affect the way Law Schools look at your undergrad career as well.
All matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, we're all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves.
- Bill Hicks

monicakxlu

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »
so im assuming that most of you juggled the lsat while in school taking 15 units?