Law School Discussion

Help me pick a laptop please.

Re: Help me pick a laptop please.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 10:46:50 PM »
I am going to Saint Louis University.  They basically said that although they could not guarantee service, they probably could give Mac service.  They made it seem as though the only problem is printing.  They have a program to use for finals and actually do not really want students to put windows in a Mac.  Thoughts?
what do they mean when they say they cannot guarantee service? If they mean wireless I would not take the chance. I would ask some people who are already there what their experience is.

Im sorry that I didn't clarify.  By service I meant repairs or other problems of that sort.  There are a good number of Mac users at the school, but for some reason I am still weary sometimes.  I still think I am going to go with a Mac though because I really want one. 

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2008, 06:54:52 AM »
if you live near an apple store, repairs are amazingly easy in case there is a problem with your macbook. You make a reservation online, usually same day, go in, no waiting in line, and see somebody. It's fantastic customer service.

Depends on the problem.  The logic board on my MBP fried and they sent it back to the motherland (China) for repairs.  It was gone for more than a month.  This does bring up an important point.  If you get a mac, you need to get the apple care service.    I've been using Macs since most of you were in pre-school and apple quality and reliability aren't what they used to be.   That said statistically, they are still better than most if not all PC laptops in terms of initial repair rates.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2008, 08:21:24 AM »
if you live near an apple store, repairs are amazingly easy in case there is a problem with your macbook. You make a reservation online, usually same day, go in, no waiting in line, and see somebody. It's fantastic customer service.

Depends on the problem.  The logic board on my MBP fried and they sent it back to the motherland (China) for repairs.  It was gone for more than a month.  This does bring up an important point.  If you get a mac, you need to get the apple care service.    I've been using Macs since most of you were in pre-school and apple quality and reliability aren't what they used to be.   That said statistically, they are still better than most if not all PC laptops in terms of initial repair rates.

How much extra is the apple care service?

Rhymnoceros

• "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:48 AM »
250 for the macbook, 350 for the macbook pro, but its three years of service. And this is pretty heavily discounted in their educational services store.

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 08:29:09 AM »
If you don't get the plan, do you just have to pay the full price for repairs and if so, are they real expensive?

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »
I am going to Saint Louis University.  They basically said that although they could not guarantee service, they probably could give Mac service.  They made it seem as though the only problem is printing.  They have a program to use for finals and actually do not really want students to put windows in a Mac.  Thoughts?

Having a Mac at SLU is no problem. The "we don't guarantee service" thing doesn't really matter because you won't have problems, and if you do, you can take it to the Mac store in the Galleria or West County Mall (which could be a challenge to get to if you don't have a car or when they shut down the eastern half of Hwy 40...)

Sometimes it takes me a couple tries to get the internet to load, but it always comes up eventually. When there is a problem, it's because the whole school can't access the web, not b/c there's something wrong with having a Mac.  They have a Mac version of the exam software, so there's no reason to load Windows onto the machine. It seems like about 1/4 of people have either a MB or a MBP.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 08:54:18 AM »

Having a Mac at SLU is no problem. The "we don't guarantee service" thing doesn't really matter because you won't have problems, and if you do, you can take it to the Mac store in the Galleria or West County Mall (which could be a challenge to get to if you don't have a car or when they shut down the eastern half of Hwy 40...)

Sometimes it takes me a couple tries to get the internet to load, but it always comes up eventually. When there is a problem, it's because the whole school can't access the web, not b/c there's something wrong with having a Mac.  They have a Mac version of the exam software, so there's no reason to load Windows onto the machine. It seems like about 1/4 of people have either a MB or a MBP.
[/quote]

Skeeball, do you have the protection plan for your Mac?  Also, I briefly looked into it, but can't you take the metrolink to Richmond Heights and then walk about a half mile to get to the Galeria?

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 09:20:01 AM »

Skeeball, do you have the protection plan for your Mac?  Also, I briefly looked into it, but can't you take the metrolink to Richmond Heights and then walk about a half mile to get to the Galeria?
[/quote]

I bought it but haven't used it. I have a MBP and haven't had a reason to take it in for anything. One of my friends has a MB and one or two of the arrow keys have fallen off, so I've driven my friend into the Galleria to get it worked on.

Yes you can take the Metro into Clayton or Richmond Heights. I haven't done it though so I don't know how easy it is.

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 09:34:11 AM »
If you don't get the plan, do you just have to pay the full price for repairs

Basically

if so, are they real expensive?

Depends but replacing components can be expensive.

You can go to  http://www.macintouch.com/ and read their reliability surveys. 

I personally have few macs and my laboratory has an additional 7 macs, 4 of which have had major problems at one time or another some have had multiple problems.  In my field, basically everyone uses macs and I can tell you my experience isn't unique.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2008, 10:54:40 AM »
I can't speak to macs, but depending on your requirements I would urge you to have a look at Lenovo's ThinkPad line. Lenovo purchased the line from IBM and renamed it, and they have an amazing reputation for reliability. Many branches of the armed forces issue Lenovo laptops for official use because of their durability, and they're well-known among business travelers. I researched laptops pretty intensely, purchased a R61i about 6 months ago, and its been nothing but awesome. Most major stores like BestBuy don't actually carry the line, but you can find them online for a steal at Newegg.com. If size and weight are an issue, you'd probably be more interested in their T-line. Don't be fooled by how inexpensive and simple-looking they are, these are great little machines, read some reviews online.

As for XP  vs. Vista, XP wins out, no doubt. In fact, many laptop companies (including Lenovo) are offering XP as a "free upgrade" from Vista.

Good luck!