Law School Discussion

Help me pick a laptop please.

jack24

• View Profile
Help me pick a laptop please.
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:48:30 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I currently have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron that has been perfect for me, but I think it's time to get a new one.
I want to stay under $1,200.

Here are a few questions.

- Dell XPS vs HP vs Sony vs Macbook?  I haven't had any problems with Dell, but maybe I should expand my horizons. Is getting a Mac worth the extra money?

- What are your opinions on screen size vs. weight?  Or what about the laptops that are too small to have a CD/DVD drive?  I think I'd like to get a 15.1" screen.  Would that be too heavy?

-Vista vs XP?  I've heard a lot of people say that I should jump at XP while I still have the chance. 

Rhymnoceros

• "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Help me pick a laptop please.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 03:13:41 PM »
Hi Everyone.  I currently have a 4 year old Dell Inspiron that has been perfect for me, but I think it's time to get a new one.
I want to stay under $1,200.

Here are a few questions.

- Dell XPS vs HP vs Sony vs Macbook?  I haven't had any problems with Dell, but maybe I should expand my horizons. Is getting a Mac worth the extra money?
macbook isn't too much more for what you're getting. a 2.4 GHz pentium core duo 2 with 2 gigs of ram and 160 gb hardrive is 1200. thats a darm good deal for so much processing power. I recommend it. And you can go cheaper if you only want a 2 ghz processor or 1 gig.

- What are your opinions on screen size vs. weight?  Or what about the laptops that are too small to have a CD/DVD drive?  I think I'd like to get a 15.1" screen.  Would that be too heavy?
15" will probably be pretty darn heavy. you don't really want more than 5 pounds for daily use, it really starts to add up with books an what not. A 15" laptop is probably going to be 6 pounds and up, and i really don't think the size is worth the extra weight. Have you seen a 13 or 14 incher? they're probably large enough to fill you needs. That sounded dirty.
Anyway, IMO, 13" is the perfect size, it will probably be about 4-5 lbs which is the upper limit of what you want, but will still provide a full keypad and lots of viewing real estate.

-Vista vs XP?  I've heard a lot of people say that I should jump at XP while I still have the chance. 
neither. Leopard is TCR. But for pc's, i've found vista to be fine as long as the computer comes with it already and you don't ahv eto upgrade (upgraded computers tend to encounter problems and run slowly more often.)I think a lot of the vista-bashing is just because its the cool thing to do now. I forget who, but someone posted a thread from years ago, with OL's bashing windows xp for being bloated and sluggish and talking about how they're going to stick with windows 2k. good times.

Majmun

• Now Featuring Excess Whiteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:55:46 PM »

15" will probably be pretty darn heavy. you don't really want more than 5 pounds for daily use, it really starts to add up with books an what not. A 15" laptop is probably going to be 6 pounds and up, and i really don't think the size is worth the extra weight. Have you seen a 13 or 14 incher? they're probably large enough to fill you needs. That sounded dirty.
Anyway, IMO, 13" is the perfect size, it will probably be about 4-5 lbs which is the upper limit of what you want, but will still provide a full keypad and lots of viewing real estate.

Weight and screen size are surprisingly not always related.  Some manufacturers have equal weight laptops at different screen sizes (Thinkpads 14" & 15") and the difference between a 13" macbook (5.0lbs) and a 15.2" mac book pro (5.4lbs) is pretty meager.   I personally don't like anything below 15" and even then I find it annoyingly small.

Bob23

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 09:30:34 PM »
Go with the MacBook. I made the switch to a mac a few years ago and never looked back.

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 09:40:52 PM »
lenovooooooooooooo

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:02:25 PM »
if you live near an apple store, repairs are amazingly easy in case there is a problem with your macbook. You make a reservation online, usually same day, go in, no waiting in line, and see somebody. It's fantastic customer service.

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »
Does having a Macbook cause problems in law school or even after law school?  I want a Macbook but worry sometimes that it could be an annoyance. 

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 10:24:29 PM »
what's your school's policy?

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 10:31:33 PM »
I am going to Saint Louis University.  They basically said that although they could not guarantee service, they probably could give Mac service.  They made it seem as though the only problem is printing.  They have a program to use for finals and actually do not really want students to put windows in a Mac.  Thoughts?

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 10:38:47 PM »
I am going to Saint Louis University.  They basically said that although they could not guarantee service, they probably could give Mac service.  They made it seem as though the only problem is printing.  They have a program to use for finals and actually do not really want students to put windows in a Mac.  Thoughts?
what do they mean when they say they cannot guarantee service? If they mean wireless I would not take the chance. I would ask some people who are already there what their experience is.