Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Realistic shot at WUSTL with top 20/21% from a tier 2?  (Read 1888 times)

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Realistic shot at WUSTL with top 20/21% from a tier 2?
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:07:52 PM »
This seems to be a school that takes people based on fall grades alone, and right now I am top 20% from first semester, or top 21%, but close enough I figure.  (Dean's List top 20% cutoff for first semester = 3.344.  My GPA = 3.313)  I have heard that I have a very realistic chance at getting in with my grades, and I want to make sure this is accurate information? It seems too good to be true though, because most schools around their rank seem to want top 10%?

Edit : I am very curious becuase I have heard that both GW and WUSTL take top 20%, but when I called up GW admissions, they said most competitive transfer students are in the top 10%

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Realistic shot at WUSTL with top 20/21% from a tier 2?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 04:26:46 PM »
I think it depends on school, but top 20% at T2 should give you a shot. 

For example, GULC says blanket 'top 15%' makes you competitive but we know that's not true for T3/T4.
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 04:27:54 PM »
I think it depends on school, but top 20% at T2 should give you a shot. 

For example, GULC says blanket 'top 15%' makes you competitive but we know that's not true for T3/T4.

I just got freaked out because people here seem to group WUSTL/GW together, and GW admissions told me they like top 10% for their transfers.  And both seem to be top 20 schools?

NeverTrustKlingons

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 04:32:54 PM »
I think if you go through transferapps you will see not everyone who transfers to GW or WUSTL is top 10%... GW has had a big jump in rankings, though, so they might be looking to up their standards?  ;-)  Or just talking a big game?  The crystal ball only knows, I say send in your apps! 
I'll never trust a Klingon.  Klingon bastards killed my son.  -- Captain James T. Kirk, USS Enterprise NCC-1701

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:41:44 PM »
I think if you go through transferapps you will see not everyone who transfers to GW or WUSTL is top 10%... GW has had a big jump in rankings, though, so they might be looking to up their standards?  ;-)  Or just talking a big game?  The crystal ball only knows, I say send in your apps! 
thanks, and the more important question is, I hear A LOT of mixed things on WUSTL.  I am from the northeast and I just go to school in Florida.  But I have no real desire to remain in Missouri after graduation.  So if I went to WUSTL with the intention of getting a biglaw job in Boston/Pennsyvania/whereever in the northeast, would that be a very bad plan?  Basically unless I can get into a school that will give me a good shot at getting a northeast Biglaw job, I have no desire to leave UM.

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 07:25:53 PM »
Virtually no one stays in MO from WUSTL unless they are from MO. That is partially due to the fact that MO firms look at non-MO students as carpetbaggers. The majority of students go to Chicago, NYC, and D.C.. While it is not the best at placing people in the NE among its peers, it certainly is better than UM.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 07:29:41 PM »
Virtually no one stays in MO from WUSTL unless they are from MO. That is partially due to the fact that MO firms look at non-MO students as carpetbaggers. The majority of students go to Chicago, NYC, and D.C.. While it is not the best at placing people in the NE among its peers, it certainly is better than UM.

do you think there is any shot that if I get my app in by next friday, I can still hit the "early admission" process, and have them take me based on my fall grades? I have no clue how I did this semester, and I'd hate to drop only slightly and then be out of the running, vs. getting in from my fall grades and then staying in becasue i still have good grades, just not as good. 

Bob Loblaw Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:03 PM »
i think you'll be very lucky to hit wustl or gw with top 20%, assuming you maintain that.  not that it cant be done, but its certainly not the norm.  also, the comment referring to gulc's 15% comment on their website, again, that is not the norm in terms of xfer gpas. 

also, regarding the op's question of wustl's early admit....last cycle, wustl received so many apps that the only early admits were 4.0s; other than that, decisions seemed to roll in around july.  even so, you'll probably want to hope for a boost in your gpa if you're gunning for wustl.

MiamiLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:16:14 PM »
well I applied tonite.  ;D  I came to UM with no intention to transfer if I couldn't get into a top 20 at least. I am expected to get rejected and I don't really care. I'll be happy as hell if they take me, but I am not expected it and I'm not gonna shed any sleep thinking about it.  So I guess I'll wait and see, but I am gonna be damn suprised if they take me.  :)

wustl3l

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 09:02:04 PM »
do you think there is any shot that if I get my app in by next friday, I can still hit the "early admission" process, and have them take me based on my fall grades? I have no clue how I did this semester, and I'd hate to drop only slightly and then be out of the running, vs. getting in from my fall grades and then staying in becasue i still have good grades, just not as good. 

I honestly have no idea but my educated guess is that you will be deferred and asked to submit your spring grades.