Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Class of 2011 - Delaware Campus  (Read 4818 times)

Blondie918

• View Profile
Class of 2011 - Delaware Campus
« on: May 12, 2008, 12:44:24 PM »
Anyone planning on going to Widener Wilmington?

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Class of 2011 - Delaware Campus
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 10:35:01 PM »
Hi. It was cool to see someone actually write something in the Widener Law section of this forum. Although I'm not a new student it doesn't seem like anyone else is replying to your post. I just finished my first year at the Delaware campus. If you've got any questions or concerns just reply to my post--I'm on this discussion board way too often so I'll see it.

Blondie918

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 12:03:25 PM »
What is the age range of students that start as a 1L, I'll be 24 when I start and it seems like everyone is right out of undergrad!  I saw some people recommend living on campus, but since I've been out of dorm life for 4 years I can't even imagin going back.  Is it that bad commuting?  I'm moving into the Village at Fox Point.

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 06:12:49 PM »
I think Widener's web page says the median age for a student is 23--so if your going to be 24 I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most people there are in their 20's, but there are plenty in their 30's that are married with kids. I had two people in my writing class last semester that were basically pushing 40. No one cared. So, unless you're over 35 or something people are just too busy with their school work to really notice your age. Besides, I was 26 when i started (now 27) and didn't feel out of place at all.

As far as commuting goes I don't think you'll have a problem. I commuted and live further away (about a 25 minute drive) then the Village at Fox Point and it wasn't all that much of a burden. There are people that commute over an hour...and I think the Village is only like 15 minutes away, so you should be fine. You might not have the same opportunity to meet friends/establish relationships as some of the on-campus kids, but if thats not really your concern then living off campus sounds like the right choice.  I thought about the dorms but when I saw them I knew they weren't for me. They are like over-sized versions of freshman dorms. No personal bathrooms and cinder block walls, lol. There are apartment style dorms for upper classmen, but I think you might have had to live in the 1L dorms to be eligible.

In any event, I think you'll find commuting to be no big deal. Personally I was happy to be able to leave the campus everyday--The idea of having to stay there all the time seemed like such a bore. Anyways, hope this helps you out. Feel free to reply if you have anything else you're concerned about.

Widener3L

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 11:45:31 PM »
Room for Rent starting 8/1/08:

Hey, so I'm a rising 3L at Widener DE, and am looking for a male student roommate, or recent graduate who will be taking an offer in Wilmington.  It is a 4 bedroom house, with three people, $450/mo + utilities.  It is located in the downtown area of Wilmington near the majority of law firms/walking distance to the courthouse.  It is 10 min. from school, and in a very nice, wooded, and quiet neighborhood.  Shoot me a private message with your email information, and I will get back to you with pictures etc...  I really want to live with another student, but the last roommate we had gave notice on 5/28 that he was leaving so most of the Class of 2008-2010 who would be interested already had secured housing.  It will be a very fun, but studious enviornment, plus it beats the dorms hands-down. 

TimMitchell

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 12:39:03 AM »
Congrats guys! I just wanted to post since I live in DE and work right next to Widener (Tweeter on Concord Pike). If you guys need the hook-up on anything (TV, Stereo) just let me know. Or if you want to buy my house in Newark.