Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are 3rd and 4th Tier Law Schools bad?  (Read 11749 times)

Brett A

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Are 3rd and 4th Tier Law Schools bad?
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2008, 11:47:29 AM »

What are Quinnipiac's scholarship requirements.

Not bad at all - top 50%.  For Hofstra's I need to maintain a 3.25.

Brett, what do you want to do and where do you want to work?

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to either question.  I'm not looking for any special program - i'm interested in doing criminal law, but I know there's a great possibility that will change during school.  Hofstra says 70% of their grads practice in Manhattan, but I was never very much into the city and don't know if I could see myself working there.. but I've grown up right around QU and went to undergrad there, so there's that sense of needing to get the heck out since I'd likely be confined there after I graduated for the first few years.  But still, the prospect of no debt is tempting, and I'm trying to tell myself I can network and still land a decent job if my grades are there.   

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2008, 12:21:15 PM »

What are Quinnipiac's scholarship requirements.

Not bad at all - top 50%.  For Hofstra's I need to maintain a 3.25.

Brett, what do you want to do and where do you want to work?

Unfortunately I don't know the answer to either question.  I'm not looking for any special program - i'm interested in doing criminal law, but I know there's a great possibility that will change during school.  Hofstra says 70% of their grads practice in Manhattan, but I was never very much into the city and don't know if I could see myself working there.. but I've grown up right around QU and went to undergrad there, so there's that sense of needing to get the heck out since I'd likely be confined there after I graduated for the first few years.  But still, the prospect of no debt is tempting, and I'm trying to tell myself I can network and still land a decent job if my grades are there.   

Full to Quinni with 50% is a better deal imo.  Id take it.  Course my options are pretty slim.  But risk is less then usual

Brett A

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2008, 03:34:14 PM »
If you would most probably like to do criminal law and could see yourself being happy as an assistant district attorney or starting out with a local criminal/traffic/general law firm making $40-60k, then I would go to Quinnipiac.  Biglaw is probably out at both places, so I'd just minimize debt.  Your school's tier doesn't really matter for local crim/general law practice.  Going to the hometown favorite and local ties are more important for that.

I think that's what I was looking to do.  I figured Biglaw was out, but I wasn't really looking towards that anyhow.  Thanks for your help!

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2008, 06:24:52 PM »
Wow!  I can't believe how knowledgable you guys all are; ...How can I become so smart and wordly?  It's amazing.

I've been admitted to practice in PA and NJ for about 18 months. 

Ignore the warnings at your peril.  I graduated from Temple, which is a respected school, and there are plenty of people from my class who are still reviewing documents. 

The plain truth of the matter is that decent entry level jobs are hard to come by.  Wages that allow you to pay your bills and more importantly, good mentoring, are in short supply.

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2008, 06:29:30 PM »
Wow!  I can't believe how knowledgable you guys all are; ...How can I become so smart and wordly?  It's amazing.

Ignore the warnings at your peril.  I graduated from Temple, which is a respected school, and there are plenty of people from my class who are still reviewing documents. 

The plain truth of the matter is that decent entry level jobs are hard to come by.  Wages that allow you to pay your bills and more importantly, good mentoring, are in short supply.

It gets even harder if you suck at life...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

withthesewings9

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2008, 08:26:40 PM »
The only people who are really in trouble with the tiers are the folks who want very competitive jobs (like the oblivious person above who doesn't realize that lots of people want to do human rights law work with prestigious NGOs)

You shouldn't assume things about people.  Sometimes "biglaw" isn't everything.  I've done my research, I just don't feel the need to spout off my opinion to everybody; and that's all your "advice" is...an opinion.

Sergio

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

Yeah, this really scares me.  I got into Rutgers-Camden, which Im sure is similar (maybe a little lower), and this shows that Philly is as bad as NYC, seemingly.

withthesewings9

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2008, 09:59:12 PM »
so how many jobs are available in each type of law specialization?  please enlighten us all...since we are so far below your superior intelligence.
maybe you should consider teaching.  what tier 1 school do you attend?  just so we can set the record straight...

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2008, 10:43:19 PM »
LOL @ this thread
Columbia 3L

officeguy

• ? ? ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2008, 10:49:22 PM »
 :D
"I want an anti-gravity machine. I saw it in a movie. You drink the potion, and then you just start floating all around"