Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are 3rd and 4th Tier Law Schools bad?  (Read 11790 times)

withthesewings9

• View Profile
Re: Are 3rd and 4th Tier Law Schools bad?
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
I was just giving an example.  Lighten up

withthesewings9

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2008, 10:59:11 PM »
So I'm guessing that the both of you are 3L and know everything about the job market right?  And have practiced law overseas?  I'll make sure to trust your opinion.  I thought these boards were meant to support each other and discuss things in somewhat of a civil manner...I mean you do want to be a lawyer right?

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:47 PM »
I know that I'm not an expert on what law schools are best, but I think a lot of it has to do with what your career goal is.  I'm going to a tier 3 (Pace) because they have the best human rights law program I could find and get into.  I want to work for an NGO or IO, like the UN, doing more policy and research-related work.  So I don't think it will matter as much what tier I came from.  I say try your best to be in the top of the class and be involved and it won't matter what "ranking" you come from. ;)

This is a flame.  If it isnt, s/he should read what really happens to third tiers in a terrible economy.

http://temporaryattorney.blogspot.com/2008/04/hudson-legal-newark-project-bloody.html

Those attorneys were probably idealists, wanted to work for amnesty international or the un, maybe even get into politics...that or biglaw naturally.  What really happens is that you get loans, you need work, there is no work, you grab what you can.  But ignore my opinion...read that of REAL attorneys who deal with their REAL t3/4 (or maybe even T1/2) degrees and problems.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2008, 11:11:12 PM »
For a bit of optimism, if you choose to do PD work for 10 years, and pay 20% of your loans, there was just put into effect some generous new federal loan forgiveness legislation.  You can save the world too, just a um...smaller part of it

withthesewings9

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2008, 11:22:56 PM »
Wow!  I can't believe how knowledgable you guys all are; especially when you're not even lawyers yet!  How can I become so smart and wordly?  It's amazing.
Save your trash for your classmates...I'm sure wherever you're going they'll appreciate it.  Oh and the only reason the UN was pulled into this coversation was because I wasn't sure if you geniuses would understand what an IO was.  I hope you do well and overcome this miserable viewpoint you've picked up.  You'll fit right in to that lovely lawyer stereotype.  Good Luck!!

lawordie

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2008, 11:24:46 PM »
 :D

lawordie

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2008, 11:48:26 PM »
hell im still in jr. high...........

Brett A

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2008, 01:55:00 AM »
I'm having trouble decided between a T2 with a 70% scholarship (Hofsta) and a T3 (Quinnipiac) with a full ride. 

Does the fact that Hofstra became a T2 this year make any difference?  Especially when it just sneaks in to the t100?  I can't imagine employers are sitting there watching the rankings and deciding to hire more Hofstra grads now that they snuck into T2 - I have to imagine there's more of a longer standing opinion that wouldn't fluctuate so quickly, but is that the case?  I know there are other factors to consider, such as where I want to practice, but do you think I'll have that much of a tougher time finding a job out of Quinnipiac than I would at Hofstra?  I'm still waiting on some T1 waitlists (mainly UConn), but I have to know that they probably won't pan out.  I'm tempted to take the full ride because there's a small stipend with it ($1,500), but I don't want to sell myself short.  It's hard for me to justify the debt for a Brooklyn Law School, so I think I'm ruling out those higher T2s, and I didn't get into any T1s I applied to, so this is the decision I'm looking at. 

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2008, 08:04:12 AM »
Wow!  I can't believe how knowledgable you guys all are; especially when you're not even lawyers yet!  How can I become so smart and wordly?  It's amazing.
Save your trash for your classmates...I'm sure wherever you're going they'll appreciate it.  Oh and the only reason the UN was pulled into this coversation was because I wasn't sure if you geniuses would understand what an IO was.  I hope you do well and overcome this miserable viewpoint you've picked up.  You'll fit right in to that lovely lawyer stereotype.  Good Luck!!

This flame continues in its excellence.  Sir, thats why you should talk to lawyers.  DO NOT listen to us.  Just remember that many of our 0L notions are formed by actual research into the industry.

$Bill

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »
I'm having trouble decided between a T2 with a 70% scholarship (Hofsta) and a T3 (Quinnipiac) with a full ride. 

Does the fact that Hofstra became a T2 this year make any difference?  Especially when it just sneaks in to the t100?  I can't imagine employers are sitting there watching the rankings and deciding to hire more Hofstra grads now that they snuck into T2 - I have to imagine there's more of a longer standing opinion that wouldn't fluctuate so quickly, but is that the case?  I know there are other factors to consider, such as where I want to practice, but do you think I'll have that much of a tougher time finding a job out of Quinnipiac than I would at Hofstra?  I'm still waiting on some T1 waitlists (mainly UConn), but I have to know that they probably won't pan out.  I'm tempted to take the full ride because there's a small stipend with it ($1,500), but I don't want to sell myself short.  It's hard for me to justify the debt for a Brooklyn Law School, so I think I'm ruling out those higher T2s, and I didn't get into any T1s I applied to, so this is the decision I'm looking at. 

What are Quinnipiac's scholarship requirements.