Law School Discussion

First Practice LSAT Score 160...

First Practice LSAT Score 160...
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:11:06 PM »
I took a full-length, timed practice LSAT in February and got a 160. I haven't really studied at all and my target score is above 170.  How did you guys do compared to your first score? Any tips to get the score up? My weak sections were games and reading.  Thanks!

Re: First Practice LSAT Score 160...
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:04:29 AM »
For the Logic Games, get your hands on the NEW PowerScore Logic Games Bible (the new edition was published earlier this year).  As for the Reading Comprehension section, I heard Nova's Master the LSAT has some good stuff to assist you on the Reading Comprehension section.  Good luck in your studying!

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 07:29:15 PM »
I'd recommend studying more than you did between February and now.

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
For the Logic Games, get your hands on the NEW PowerScore Logic Games Bible (the new edition was published earlier this year).  As for the Reading Comprehension section, I heard Nova's Master the LSAT has some good stuff to assist you on the Reading Comprehension section.  Good luck in your studying!

Nova's Master the LSAT?  That's a new one.  I'll have to check that out.

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 01:56:32 AM »
when are you taking the test?

i took my first diagnostic in january and got 161.  i've been studying regularly ever since  for the june administration.  i've gone through the powerscore books, the nova book, some supplemental formal/informal logic books, the lsat superprep, and prep tests 7-44 so far.  when i started i was weak in games and logical reasoning, missing 7 or 8 in each section.  the powerscore books really helped with that and my diagnostics lately have been in the 170s.  now i just hope i can keep it up for the real thing. 

good luck with your studying.   

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 05:57:18 PM »
thanks everyone!
i'm planning on taking the test in december but i'm just finishing my sophomore year so i would be a little bit ahead, not behind.  how many hours per week have you been studying?

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 11:56:30 PM »
how many hours per week have you been studying?

I've been trying to get in at least 6 hours a week.  I just finished my finals this week, so I have a good four weeks to put in more hours.

you have a ways until December.  have fun!

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 01:25:40 PM »
Think about your 160 this way: a typical LSAT taker will prepare for it and ultimately score within the 145-155 range on the test. Inevitably, then, you're no average bear; given that you observed the test's time constraints and that you hadn't prepared at all prior to that first test, your initial score is damn impressive and I think you can reasonably expect to hit--if not exceed--your goal, though self-study. To that end, hit up some local libraries and/or amazon.com for prep materials--i.e. official practice tests and Powerscore's bibles; "i.e." and not "e.g." because those are, by relatively many accounts, the only prep tools worth studying. Good luck.

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 01:44:12 PM »
thanks...that really makes me feel a lot better. does it hurt that the diagnostic was a kaplan test? again, i didn't really study at all and i'm planning on working to increase the score. and i know your scores typically are a little bit lower than your practice scores, but i think since my games section was the weakest, i will be able to train myself with those more easily than if i were to attempt training myself how to think on a logical reasoning question (which i think is somewhat more innate than the other sections)

EarlCat

• i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:53 PM »
Depends whether they used a real test or a fake one.  I'd call and ask.