Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: HB Academics -- who are these guys? Has anyone reading this thread used them?  (Read 1457 times)

Maclock

• View Profile
http://www.hbacademics.com/LSAT.html

Are these people any good?  I can't find anything about them anywhere!

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
http://www.hbacademics.com/LSAT.html

Are these people any good?  I can't find anything about them anywhere!

This isn't from personal experience but I would be reluctant to use them.  For something as important as the LSAT I would think it would be best to stick to known commodities instead of risking it on a company of unknown quality.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Contact them.  Ask about the curriculum and most importantly how their instructors are trained.  If their instructors suck or are only hired for their scores (i.e. not trained), steer clear.

Maclock

• View Profile
I asked them a few pointed questions (e.g., what kind of credentials does your instructor in my city have, how did s/he do on his/her LSAT, etc.) and all I got in reply was a request to take a diagnostic and then they would discuss that kind of information with me after the diagnostic.

It seemed like a strange reply to me.  I mean, if their instructor here in my city has credentials that are worth publicizing, you would think that they would tell me something about him/her in a bid to interest me in their program.  It just seems like an odd way of dealing with/attracting a potential customer.

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
I asked them a few pointed questions (e.g., what kind of credentials does your instructor in my city have, how did s/he do on his/her LSAT, etc.) and all I got in reply was a request to take a diagnostic and then they would discuss that kind of information with me after the diagnostic.

It seemed like a strange reply to me.  I mean, if their instructor here in my city has credentials that are worth publicizing, you would think that they would tell me something about him/her in a bid to interest me in their program.  It just seems like an odd way of dealing with/attracting a potential customer.

Isn't it obvious? They are trying to make sure you aren't too smart for them to help.

Maclock

• View Profile
They are asking me to take a diagnostic at home and send it to them.  The provision of information about their instructor(s) should not be contingent on taking the diagnostic, though.  That's the part that I don't get.  It's very odd.

Maclock

• View Profile
Update

HB Academics won't answer questions about their company, its methods or its instructors.  I continue to ask very basic questions and the replies I get tell me nothing more than to write the diagnostic first, and then information about its instructors (and the company, presumably) will follow

Most preparation/tutoring companies usually fall all over themselves trying to sell themselves, yet HB Academics won't give me basic answers to basic questions.  I don't understand their marketing strategy at all.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
Wow.  I'll meet and share my credentials with anyone who asks.  If they wanted your business, why wouldn't they do the same?

Maclock

• View Profile
I wish I knew, EarlCat.

If I were in TN or in Southern CA, I'd probably just see if you or Jeffort could lend me a hand.  (Can't do the remote-thing; I need in-person tuition.)

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
Here's what you do:

Fill out a "Fake" diagnostic.  That is, get a practice test and use the answer key to make sure you get around a 165.  Then send them the info and ask about their credentials.  If they don't want to tell you then, ditch 'em.