Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gearing up for the bar exam  (Read 7195 times)

jamiejamie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gearing up for the bar exam
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2008, 03:15:36 AM »
I already finished my 6-day PMBR. It's a nice little primer getting you reacquainted with the stuff you haven't studied since 1L. It's also pretty good practice learning the format and types of questions on the MBE. But that's all it is.

The real action comes with your substantive bar review class (ex. barbri). If you already have your barbri books, you can review the Conviser mini-review before taking each 50 question MBE test so you'll do a little better. The barbri books, and not the little notes that some people take during the PMBR lectures, are your real source for the law.

Personally, I liked to go through about 5-10 questions at a time, and then really study the answer explanations. The explanations in the back are pretty good, and the usefulness of going to the lectures was marginal for me.

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2008, 01:23:32 PM »
Ugh. I just picked up stuff. There's SOOO much.  And the study schedule is insane.

I am going to study a little everyday.  I don't care what there study schedule is because there is no way I am putting in 6 hours outside class a day.  I figure as long as I put in two or three hours a day without any distractions, I should be fine.

Yeah, that's my plan too.  A good friend of mine told me anywhere from 3-5 is enough (at least for the state I'm taking).  And there's no way in hell I'll be reading the big outlines.  I'll be going through the Conviser mini outline, and going to the big ones if I have any trouble.

Yep, that's all I plan on doing, too. Today was the first day of the 6-day PMBR course, and all it did was scare the sh*t out of me. They make you take a 50-question test on the MBE subject of the day (today was Con Law), before you've even had a chance to study the outline. Well, today I got 20/50 correct, meaning I got a failing score on the MBE (you need around a 65-70 % to pass).  Then after the test, you watch a video where the professor goes over in detail all of the questions, and discusses why the correct answer is correct and why the wrong answers are wrong.

Although I found the lecture somewhat useful, I still don't like the PMBR approach of first testing you cold on a subject you haven't studied in years, for all it does is scare you to death as opposed to getting you in the mindset of studying.  Man, if I would have known I would have felt this bummed after the first test, I wouldn't have bothered taking the course.  For this reason, BarBri is a lot more realistic in that they don't test you immediately on the first day of class!  Anyone else feel the same way about PMBR?  It's a shame you can't get your money back...

Completely agree, I found the video somewhat helpful, but disorganized because you just get the information in random bits without proper organization and I learn best from organized material.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

philibusters

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: May 20, 2008, 01:29:43 PM »
Is everybody doing barbri? 

My school has a bar program that I am doing.  The profs at the school just teach their subject again. I think the professors all made their own outlines.  We also got a lot of material from PMBR including two outlines for each class and a lot of practice problems. I was torn on choosing between BarBri and my school's program, but out of loyalty I went with my school.
2008 graduate of William and Mary Law School

jamiejamie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: May 20, 2008, 09:34:43 PM »
Why don't you compare the pass rates between programs if that's possible

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2008, 10:03:05 PM »
Is everybody doing barbri? 

My school has a bar program that I am doing.  The profs at the school just teach their subject again. I think the professors all made their own outlines.  We also got a lot of material from PMBR including two outlines for each class and a lot of practice problems. I was torn on choosing between BarBri and my school's program, but out of loyalty I went with my school.

I wouldn't choose my school's program out of loyalty.  I would make sure that the profs are teaching for the bar exam and not teaching for a law school exam as there is a difference.  I was hesitant to choose barbri at first as well but in the end I decided to go with the trusted name to ensure the best shot of passing the first time. 

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 21, 2008, 07:02:47 AM »
I have to say, after my first BarBri lecture, I'm actually kind of impressed. The prof was great (he was actually engaging and pretty funny, too), he actually highlighted differences we might remember from class vs. what we need on the Bar, and has given a ton of tips and strategy points.

Granted, one day is only one day.  But I'm actually looking forward to some of the lecturers - many are big names that I know, who have written supplements or books that I've used.  Hopefully they teach as well as they write.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2008, 01:32:37 AM »
I have to say, after my first BarBri lecture, I'm actually kind of impressed. The prof was great (he was actually engaging and pretty funny, too), he actually highlighted differences we might remember from class vs. what we need on the Bar, and has given a ton of tips and strategy points.

Granted, one day is only one day.  But I'm actually looking forward to some of the lecturers - many are big names that I know, who have written supplements or books that I've used.  Hopefully they teach as well as they write.

Agreed; I was pretty impressed, too, from just the first day, and we had a really big name professor: Chemerinsky, Mr. Con Law himself. When I saw his name on the syllabus, I immediately thought, "oh, we'll just be watching a video of him," but nope: live and in person. Pretty cool, and he was pretty funny, too, even though some of his jokes were by his own admission lame.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2008, 07:06:07 AM »

Agreed; I was pretty impressed, too, from just the first day, and we had a really big name professor: Chemerinsky, Mr. Con Law himself. When I saw his name on the syllabus, I immediately thought, "oh, we'll just be watching a video of him," but nope: live and in person. Pretty cool, and he was pretty funny, too, even though some of his jokes were by his own admission lame.

Yeah, we get Chemerinsky later in the summer.  I think they travel around all summer.  I'm sure they get paid well, so not a bad gig, really.  We've had Epstein for Ks, so if he's on your schedule, those lectures will be pretty good.

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2008, 06:20:55 PM »

Yeah, we get Chemerinsky later in the summer.  I think they travel around all summer.  I'm sure they get paid well, so not a bad gig, really.  We've had Epstein for Ks, so if he's on your schedule, those lectures will be pretty good.

Just checked my schedule:  yep, Epstein's is on my schedule as well. Glad to hear that his lectures are good, especially because Contracts was undoubtedly my worst subject (it's the only one in which I earned a C)...