Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gearing up for the bar exam  (Read 6869 times)

jamiejamie

• View Profile
    • Email
Gearing up for the bar exam
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:30:58 AM »
I just finished my last of 4 exams in my final semester of law school. For some reason, it was especially tough for me (sometimes painful) to really study hard and prepare for them. That said, I tried hard and I'm sure I did fine.

But after a short number of days of relaxation, TV, bars, the beach and that kind of stuff, it's already time for bar review class. I honestly don't know if I can gear up for it right now. I popped in a property PMBR CD yesterday and the guy was talking about fee tail, fee simple with a condition subsequent, executory interest, and a whole host of things that I vaguely remember, but could care less about right now.

Does anyone else dread getting back into a serious, focused mode for 2+ months, so soon after finishing law school? How are you guys gearing yourselves up (or how did you if you already took the bar)?

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gearing up for the bar exam
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:31:38 AM »
Word.  Finished yesterday at 3pm.  As for studying for them, yeah painful in a new and different way.  I probably did good enough.  If you start now, you'll be studying for 2.5 months???  Bar review doesn't start for 2 more weeks for me, and thus it is a world away. 

Good Luck!

Finally, wtf is a fee tail???  Oh man have I forgotten a lot...

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:59 AM »
The reality of it all probably won't really sink in until the 4th of July.

Enjoy!

unlvcrjchick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 10:56:43 AM »
Agreed.  I just finished last night at 9:20 p.m. (the exam seemed easy, which worries me), and the thought of going back to studying in just 9 short days makes me ill. I had a hell of a time getting through this last semester, so I can't imagine how I'll fare on the bar exam.  Oh well, time will tell. Congrats to all of us who made it through the hell that is law school!

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 12:43:29 PM »
Yeah, I don't start BarBri for another week and a half or so.  That means I'm doing whatever I can to NOT think about the bar exam.

I did get my "temporary" fitness certification in the mail yesterday though.  They take FOREVER to do background checks, but at least they're gracious enough to let me sit the July bar.  ::)

smujd2007

• Sr. Citizen
  • January 6, 2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 07:16:27 PM »
Essentially, you have to remember what's important.  Graduating from law school doesn't mean all that much until you pass the bar. 

That was enough to keep me focused. 
smujd2007 is now an Attorney at Law!

StrictlyLiable

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:02:11 PM »
I finished on Saturday morning. The relief I felt driving home was unmeasureable. It still hasn't sunk it yet, but I imagine after walking across the stage this Sunday it will.

As for bar prep, I am taking this week off and just vegging. Then, on May 19th, I am getting right into it. If I learned anything from my bar prep prep class this semester, its that we are going to need every minute between now and July 27th to prepare.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
Ouch, I'm not looking forward to bar prep...or the bar exam.  I'm taking it in MN, though, and with a 90% pass rate, I just keep telling myself, "You only have to do better than 10% of the people in the room."

Don't get me wrong, I'm taking barbri and will take it seriously...that thought just makes it seem a little better. 

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:07 PM »
You should take Wisconsin or another state, kick arse on the MBE (and pass the overall bar), and waive into MN. Then you can get two states with one test.

mqt

• Sr. Citizen
  • cellar door
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 02:26:46 AM »
You should take Wisconsin or another state, kick arse on the MBE (and pass the overall bar), and waive into MN. Then you can get two states with one test.

the way I read the requirements, one can only waive into MN if he/she has actively practiced for 5 of the last 7 years...so doing what you suggest wouldn't get me very far this year (unless I'm missing something)