Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Clever Professors Piss Me Off  (Read 1767 times)

Haeldaur

• View Profile
Clever Professors Piss Me Off
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:37:42 AM »
Nothing angers me more than cute exam questions designed solely for the purpose of telling other professors about your clever question next time the topic comes up.  You put students through months of reading and hard work, have them work hard to memorize all kinds of doctrines for exams, and then come up with some bull 2 line question or quotation and tell them to right an hour essay on it. 

There's no way to justify this kind of exam.  The only skill it tests is an ability to bull effectively for an hour.  This is a pretty useful skill at most jobs and in life in general, I know, but nothing makes me angrier than studying for hours, taking endless practice tests, knowing all the material, and suffering because a professor wants to prove how clever he or she is.

/end rant

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Clever Professors Piss Me Off
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 08:42:28 AM »
Word.  I had 1 bad one this semester and the rest were sort of fair, or maybe my expectations have changed over the years. 
I wont even attempt to describe the exam.  But it was all multiple choice, you lose points for wrong answers, each question   was A-E.  Where E is "all or none of the above."  3/4 of the exam was "which one is NOT true."  And the exam almost exclusively tested for memory and not analysis (e.g. no fact patterns to apply law to).  No prior exams distributed, no practice problems available, and the prof. would not recommend a supplement.  Had the prof. been within striking distance during the exam, I would have bloodied her nose. 

Hey look at that, I did describe the exam...I am a liar.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 11:12:58 AM »
lolz, I just don't care anymore

One of my profs at the beginning of the year told us we were paying tens of thousands of dollars a year to learn to bullsh*t. High-brow and sophisticated bullsh*t, but bullsh*t nonetheless.

So I accepted this a long time ago.

Mina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 11:13:37 PM »
Just let it go; you didn't get who owns the moon property question did you?

AssaultAndBattery

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:49:36 PM »
I got that bull question about who owns the moon. What law school do you go to? Perhaps we are classmates.

Anyways, I was so heated at the question, that I responded that little white goblins own the moon and began describing how goblins were first in right, and some other bull from that bull mcintosh property case about the indians. I mentioned no proper doctrine and bs'd my answer for 45 minutes. At the end, I stated if its not the white goblins, (just to cover my bases, because we all know there is NO right answer in law school) then it was God. I then spent the remaining 15 minutes discussing the greatness of organized religion. 

True story. I passed the test too.

resipsaloquitur

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 01:31:05 AM »
I got that bull question about who owns the moon.