Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible commuter  (Read 1903 times)

April127

• View Profile
Possible commuter
« on: May 10, 2008, 12:12:38 AM »
Anyone making the commute from Orlando to St Pete to attend Stetson?

Boneman

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Possible commuter
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 09:32:10 AM »
No, but I am commuting from Columbus to Akron (Ohio), about a 2 hour drive each way.

MrMediaguy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
Given the terrible traffic on I-4 (fog, accidents, nasty drivers), the bad traffic you hit again on I-275 through downtown Tampa and across the Howard Frankland bridge, and how far into St. Pete (into Gulfport) you'd have to drive to get to Stetson, I'd estimate that you'd be spending at least three hours (round-trip) in traffic every day. Sounds like a time-waste and stress that you wouldn't want to take on in addition to LS rigors.

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 06:00:51 PM »
i was considering a commute from Detroit to Toledo for UT Law, which is approx. 2.5 drive each way.  When i went to visit the school in Toledo and mentioned my commuting plans to current students, they ALL told me the same thing.  DON'T DO IT.  they said that doing a commute is obviously do-able, but it eats away at your study time.  while you're driving the 4-5 hrs roundtrip, other students are going to be studying or doing extra curricular activities.

between that good point, and the rising cost of gas, i opted to go to school locally instead.  you may want to consider doing a student rental that's closer to your school.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 07:46:25 PM »
I commute an hour each way to go to Michigan, but I would much rather not.  You miss out on that time each day (and it has to come out of your sleep, because nothing else will give), plus it makes doing some of the social things (which are necessary, at least sometimes) prohibitively difficult in most cases.  If you are able, move.  If you are not, you will definitely not like it.

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 10:51:38 PM »
hey ender, were you a summer start up at Michigan?

pnigro

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:16:55 PM »
That is a truly brutal commute.  If you can't or won't relocate you should consider a law school closer.  Obviously there are a few in Orlando but none ranked higher than Stetson I believe.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 06:01:20 PM »
hey ender, were you a summer start up at Michigan?

I sure am (and it's totally worth the drive).  Are you already in school, or applying this fall?

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

likeitmatters

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
i'll be starting in aug and i'm super excited!