Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Why you want to be an attorney - help with a topic  (Read 849 times)

philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
Why you want to be an attorney - help with a topic
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:04:51 PM »
Is it really bad to talk about why you want to be an attorney?  I was trying to gain some sense of what the personal statement asks, and Texas Southern (one of my safeties) on LSAC still has the app up.  Under the PS it says, in a more detailed way, to explain why you want to go to law school.

I was thinking about writing about my experience having an autistic brother.  He basically didn't talk until he was 5, was taken advantage of at his day care, my mom was told he would never read, and yet now he is about to graduate high school and go to college in Cincinnati.  Everything I have watched my brother go through (not having ANY friends, struggling in school, feeling bad about no date for prom) has shaped how I think about the special education system and what needs to be worked on legally.  Inevitably, that (Special ED) is the type of law I would like to go into. 

My problems with this topic are:
1) I feel it might be TOO long in explanation.
2) I know I have to somehow tie myself more into this even though it is kind of based on my brother, and I wonder if being a bystander, occasionally having to stick up for my brother is enough to write about.
3) Should I even be writing that I want to do special education law because of this?  In other words, should I even be writing about why I want to do law?

And since special education law is such a small field, would bigger name schools (like Georgetown for instance) even care that I want to do it?

Thanks for anyone who takes the time to help, I really do appreciate it! :)
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become; and they pay for it very simply: by the lives they lead."
--James Baldwin

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Why you want to be an attorney - help with a topic
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 02:35:23 PM »
This sounds like it's not just one of those "I'VE ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A LAWYER FOREVER. AND EVER" generic crap essays. If you're really interested in special education or rights of the disabled law, then go for it. As long as you can incorporate how your brother has affected YOUR decision to go to law school, then I think it will be great.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 02:41:28 PM »
As said, this sounds like it has a real chance of being about him instead of you. Really, really try hard to think about you and talk about you. And when you get a draft, post it on here (or the LS Applications board) and plenty of people will be happy to pay it forward.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »
Thanks to the both of you! ;D
"People pay for what they do, and still more for what they have allowed themselves to become; and they pay for it very simply: by the lives they lead."
--James Baldwin

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 01:07:57 AM »
As said, this sounds like it has a real chance of being about him instead of you. Really, really try hard to think about you and talk about you. And when you get a draft, post it on here (or the LS Applications board) and plenty of people will be happy to pay it forward.

TITCR

I did something similar -- my PS was very much about my brother, but the focus was on my involvement in his life.  PM me after you finish a draft.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all.