Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TEMPLE  (Read 10010 times)

vjm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TEMPLE
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2008, 12:26:40 AM »
  The problem with your case is that you didn't really rely on the scholarship offer.

Yup.

Also, learn how to spell "because."  It will come in useful during law school  ;)

Lies! I totally use cos in briefs and motions all the time, example:

I. I CAN HAZ SUMMERY JUDGEMNTS?
Judge my clients is teh innocents! No issues of trialable fact cos he did not do it. Rule for me and we can b BFF. Kthxbi

LOLCat English is the preferred style here in our courts.

LOL!   :D  This post is hilarious!!!!

Bump for the sake of lolcat lawyers everywhere!

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2008, 03:22:29 AM »
Good call on the not giving "legal advice," but his "case" with Temple's financial aid office is pretty weak as well.

He had already decided to attend before the whole scholarship mishap. 
I got accepted to the school with no $ and had sent an email asking if they could re-consider. I got a message back saying there was nothing they could do and I resigned myself to that. I made up my mind about going there and having to borrow the max amount of loans for the 1st yr then I got my fin aid award letter in the mail teling me they were offering me 15,000 for the first year as a Law Faculty Scholarship.

The relevant issue is not whether he decided to attend before he got the scholarship offer.  The issue is whether the court believes he did.

Unless he formally declined the other offers before the scholarship offer, he could still potentially argue PE.  There's no way for the court or anyone else to read his mind regarding the ultimate decision unless he somehow made his intentions manifest.

Bouzie

• Sr. Citizen
  • yummy
    • View Profile
    • Buy This
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2008, 11:28:50 AM »
Good call on the not giving "legal advice," but his "case" with Temple's financial aid office is pretty weak as well.

I got accepted to the school with no $ and had sent an email asking if they could re-consider. I got a message back saying there was nothing they could do and I resigned myself to that. I made up my mind about going there and having to borrow the max amount of loans for the 1st yr then I got my fin aid award letter in the mail teling me they were offering me 15,000 for the first year as a Law Faculty Scholarship.

The relevant issue is not whether he decided to attend before he got the scholarship offer.  The issue is whether the court believes he did.

Unless he formally declined the other offers before the scholarship offer, he could still potentially argue PE.  There's no way for the court or anyone else to read his mind regarding the ultimate decision unless he somehow made his intentions manifest.

For example, by posting them on an internet discussion board?
1L

"I feel really bad for you. I mean, you don't know anything."

TimMitchell

« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2008, 12:03:28 PM »
  The problem with your case is that you didn't really rely on the scholarship offer.

Yup.

Also, learn how to spell "because."  It will come in useful during law school  ;)

Lies! I totally use cos in briefs and motions all the time, example:

I. I CAN HAZ SUMMERY JUDGEMNTS?
Judge my clients is teh innocents! No issues of trialable fact cos he did not do it. Rule for me and we can b BFF. Kthxbi

LOLCat English is the preferred style here in our courts.

:D :D :D

I wonder whatever happened to that guy

Lindbergh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2008, 12:40:58 PM »

For example, by posting them on an internet discussion board?

Yes, if he included his name, and the school somehow found those postings.  Both of which are unlikely.

j23

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2008, 11:56:48 PM »
If it was a mistake, it was a mistake. You do not deserve to get 15,000 dollars because of an error, especially after they told you already you were not receiving a scholarship. I agree that they should apologize, but does it really matter if they do? Definitely not worth contacting an attorney for such a frivolous matter.

studymaster

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »
If it was a mistake, it was a mistake. You do not deserve to get 15,000 dollars because of an error, especially after they told you already you were not receiving a scholarship. I agree that they should apologize, but does it really matter if they do? Definitely not worth contacting an attorney for such a frivolous matter.

Over this amount of money your response is absurd. To call what is more thna 90% of americans monthly salary a frivolous matter is compeltely absurd. I can't imagien going to a school that has so little regard for their students...
It is whispered that soon, if we all heed the call, the piper will lead us to reason.

Mulliganstew

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2008, 12:54:51 PM »
People who try to correct spelling over the interwebs go to a very special hell with pedophiles and people who talk during movies.

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2008, 05:08:39 PM »
kudos for the shephard book reference.

pubintrst

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 07:34:26 PM »
Wow.

I had nearly the same thing happen to me two weeks ago, at Temple as well. I was there in person, so it was extra awkward.

They handed out estimated FA package letters at the beginning of ASD and I was kinda shocked to see a $10k Law school faculty scholly staring back at me. Unfortunatley there was no appropriate time to discuss this matter with an FA staff person until five hours later. When I mentioned the scholarship and this being the first I had heard of it she grabbed the letter, told me it might be a mistake, and was gone from the room for 5 minutes. When she returned she had a freshly printed FA package letter devoid of any scholarship.

Ouch.

Too bad I was really impressed with Temple on all other fronts. This whole fiasco kinda spoiled it. I know mistakes happen (no hard feelings Temple), but it seems like something can be tighted up over in the FA office.