Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TEMPLE  (Read 10125 times)

Naitingale

• View Profile
    • Email
BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TEMPLE
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:03:36 PM »
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am really upset with the fin aid office right now. I got accepted to the school with no $ and had sent an email asking if they could re-consider. I got a message back saying there was nothing they could do and I resigned myself to that. I made up my mind about going there and having to borrow the max amount of loans for the 1st yr then I got my fin aid award letter in the mail teling me they were offering me 15,000 for the first year as a Law Faculty Scholarship. You can imgine my joy and excitement. Then I had to call them cos I had a question about completing my MPN and the rep I was speaking to suddenly told me that the scholarship was a mistake. I was shocked and I let her know that I had declined other schools that were offering me scholarships cos I really desired to go to Temple. So she said somebody would call me back later. Imagine my surprise when I got an email saying "well we made a mistake and that's that"
I am so upset cos I feel like at least they owed me a phone call to apologize and I feel like they could have at least offered me some $ for such a terrible mistake.

Has anyone ever been in this type of situation?

I feel helpless cos I feel like I can't do anything about this cos I really wouldn't want to take it a step further( and even if I did, I wouldn't know what to do) but I just think there should be some type of action I can take about this.

Any advice, anyone?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: BAD EXPERIENCE WITH TEMPLE
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »

Ask an attorney about the situation (preferably a member of the PA bar)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

none

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 02:37:22 AM »
Definitely check with an attorney - ask him about "promissory estoppel"

Stole Your Nose!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 09:11:41 AM »
Unfortunately, law schools offer "accidental" scholarships.  It happens. 

The problem with your case is that you didn't really rely on the scholarship offer.  You made up your mind about going there before you got the scholarship award and the scholarship award didn't significantly change your position.  (If the award was unexpected, you should've checked with the law school immediately.)  Yes, you turned down other schools but you'd already turned the other schools down anyway.

If you'd actually made your decision based on that award, you'd have a stronger case.  (Although I'm pretty sure that even then law schools reserve the right to withdraw scholarships and even offers of admission.)

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 09:23:14 AM »
  The problem with your case is that you didn't really rely on the scholarship offer.

Yup.

Also, learn how to spell "because."  It will come in useful during law school  ;)

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 11:13:23 AM »
I was under the impression that he turned down other scholarship offers bcause of the temple offer...

Probably better not to give him legal advice though (especially since we don't know the whole story)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 01:54:09 PM »
  The problem with your case is that you didn't really rely on the scholarship offer.

Yup.

Also, learn how to spell "because."  It will come in useful during law school  ;)

Lies! I totally use cos in briefs and motions all the time, example:

I. I CAN HAZ SUMMERY JUDGEMNTS?
Judge my clients is teh innocents! No issues of trialable fact cos he did not do it. Rule for me and we can b BFF. Kthxbi

LOLCat English is the preferred style here in our courts.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Quail!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 05:14:10 PM »
I. I CAN HAZ SUMMERY JUDGEMNTS?

:D :D

Best...header...ever

Maddie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 06:04:00 PM »
That's really frustrating, but unfortunately not so uncommon.  I had a similar experience.  A school gave me a small scholarship, but when they sent the letter it was for much more.  I called to confirm before I signed off on it and they told me it was an error.  It definitely tainted my impression of the school.

Terrible Ivan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2008, 07:21:09 PM »
If you have chosen Temple and will attend, I suggest putting this unfortunate ordeal behind you. Forget about it. Chalk it up to an administrative oversight or Michael Scott ineptness.

Best to start at a new school and new program liking the place and the people. I know...easy advise to give yet hard to swallow. Being able to forget is quite a virtue. Good luck.