Law School Discussion

Advice in a complicated mess of a situation

Advice in a complicated mess of a situation
« on: May 09, 2008, 04:41:08 PM »
m

Re: Advice in a complicated mess of a situation
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:41:40 AM »
Wow --

I'd provide less information.  You should make yourself a bit more anonymous? 

But T14 is a stretch unless you score much higher on the LSAT.

Agreed.
shannontotheont, if yours is a serious post, you may wish to delete it. If you apply next year and the post is located by school officers, references, etc., it might suggest a lack of judgment.  Good luck.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 05:44:14 PM »
I wouldn't worry about the alcohol violation too much. I had one from freshman year and most schools will ask you to write a brief statement about any disciplinary action taken by your school. I wrote a small paragraph about the incident and the punishment.

My GPA also dropped due to classes taken in high school. It sucks, but the drop wasn't severe enough for me to add an addendum. Depending on how many college credits you currently have, it might not drop you a lot either.

Unless you get your LSAT score up (or you're a URM) you don't have a great chance at T-14. Keep in mind most people experience about a 3 point drop from practice exams to the real thing. You need to try to get up closer to 170.

$Bill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 10:47:55 AM »
Ah Clonehill, where all the girls are bone thin, with brunette hair and dour clothing (and the others arent allowed to leave their rooms).  I remember many nights drinking there, and going to Bills Pizza down the road.

What I'd be most concerned about is your LSAC GPA, and how it will be affected by your misadventures at some of the institutions.  I suspect that 3.61 will be dropping considerably depending on the amount of Credit Hours that have poor grades.  T14, unless your going to northwestern with huge work experience and a very good LSAT, may be a hard reach.

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
I am in need of some serious advice as to what to do in the coming year. First, I want to say that I would like to attend at T14 school, and that is my ultimate goal. With that said, hopefully you guys' advice will help me towards that.

Stats
Lehigh University
Senior (as in a senior in the fall)
Majors: Philosophy and French
CUM GPA: 3.61 (BUT is going to go down this semester, I've been overloading for the past 2 years to 20 credits a semester...)
Philosophy GPA: 3.61
French GPA: 3.25

Stonehill College - attended for Freshman year and transferred out
GPA: 3.255

Middlebury College - attended for language school (big mistake!) and received like 3 credits on Middlebury's system (after 1st year of college)
GPA 2.23

Franklin College in Switzerland - attended in high school...
1 course: Introduction to Political Science
GPA 2.7

Activities: Lehigh University Equestrian Team Vice President, Phi Beta Delta, National Society of College Scholars, freshman year on Stonehill College varsity equestrian team
Volunteer: teach underprivileged students French in a local program
Interned for : Senators John Cornyn and Kay Bailey Hutchison (summer 2007), Congressman Charlie Dent (fall 2007), and Force Ouvriere (a French labor union).

Issue 1: With Middlebury and Franklin, I took courses in the summer for fun and did not pressure myself to do well. I have always grown up taking summer courses for fun and not really pushing myself. Had I known, I would not have gone, as simple as that. In addition, I was a junior in a high school when I went to Franklin. So, unfortunately, I am being penalized for summer enrichment that I didn't ask to receive credit for from either Stonehill or Lehigh. I expect to have to write an essay about this.

Issue 2: I had an alcohol violation my freshman year. I had minimum sanctions and it was not that bad, you know getting caught drinking in your dorm type situation.  I will include this in the supplemental essay.

Also, I did not sign for the LSATs as I will be in Paris and did not want to go through the stress, as I have done so in the past to take standardized exams abroad. Currently, without taking class, which I will do, I have gotten anywhere from 160-165 with past LSAT exams

Given all this, I would like to know what you guys would do in hopes of attending a T14. I know it may seem hopeless, but I was thinking about taking a year for graduate school or start working. Any advice would be helpful.

In the future, don't put ya business out there like this.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 08:49:05 AM »
In the future, don't put ya business out there like this.

and you just preserved it by quoting it...

TruOne

• I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 10:08:04 AM »
I know, hence the lesson learned: In the future, don't put your business out there.