Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: billable hour requirement for small/medium firms?  (Read 3393 times)

NYC2L

• View Profile
Re: billable hour requirement for small/medium firms?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »
work is fun anyway.

Not if your real life is more fun. :(

Looks like you chose the wrong profession. I've heard that temp work is the way to go for someone whose real life is already fun and satisfying.

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/27698

hahah.

are you doing temp work this summer NYC2LMan?  Also, do they make temp work track jackets?

No. I was rejected by all the prestigious temp agencies and I didn't want to settle for anything outside of the "T"10. And, yes, all the top agencies have track jackets. Doesn't your law firm/law school have them? I'll bet if you ask your Dean of Students really nicely, she/he will see to it that they are available.

plex

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2008, 08:47:59 PM »
Business cards are very prestigious.

Wow though, I am sure that guy in the onion article is enjoying his life now but just wait until he gets older, doesn't have a band, has no money, the girl leaves him, can't pay any medical bills he might have, is deep in debt and can expect to work until he dies. He is pretty much destroying any chance he has at a decent future. And 8.54/hour?! I made almost that in high school doing some 15 hours/week job. There are also plenty of jobs that pay twice what he's making and he could still surf the web most of the day too, what an idiot, he is getting royally screwed.

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »
haha, sorry to hear about your rejection.  I mean, I am not surprised.  most of the prestigious agencies dont like top students from top law schools.

Im still working on the track jacket :) its coming. i sense it.

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 10:22:34 PM »
Wow though, I am sure that guy in the onion article is enjoying his life now but just wait until he gets older, doesn't have a band, has no money, the girl leaves him, can't pay any medical bills he might have, is deep in debt and can expect to work until he dies. He is pretty much destroying any chance he has at a decent future. And 8.54/hour?! I made almost that in high school doing some 15 hours/week job. There are also plenty of jobs that pay twice what he's making and he could still surf the web most of the day too, what an idiot, he is getting royally screwed.

Plex: unaware that The Onion is a satirical newspaper or
Plex: ironically critiquing the article for comic effect?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2008, 08:27:42 AM »
my firm has 1950..  life gona suck?

Minimum billable hour requirements are just that -- a minimum. You should, under no circumstances, assume that you will work less at a certain firm because their minimum billables are lower than some other firm. It's not like once you reach you minimum, you can just sort of chill you. If there is work, you will be expected to do it.

My firm's minimums are officially 1500 (though there's talk about going to 1700), but I billed 250 hours my first month, I am in the office past 9 pm most evenings and I frequently have to work weekends. My friend who is at Latham obviously has higher minimums, but she comes in at 11 and leaves at 4 because they don't have any work.

Think of your min billables as your bonus threshold and nothing more. They are not necessarily indicative of how much time you will spend at work.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2008, 09:51:32 AM »
ok from what you've said in a couple of threads I think you work in a small boutique firm. Your firm only interviews at 10 schools and is clearly not Wachtell (the 1500 requirement), I don't think you have a representative experience at your firm.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2008, 09:53:03 AM »
ok from what you've said in a couple of threads I think you work in a small boutique firm. Your firm only interviews at 10 schools and is clearly not Wachtell (the 1500 requirement), I don't think you have a representative experience at your firm.

My firm is not Wachtell, but it is a large (700 lawyers) firm headquartered in London.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2008, 10:21:07 AM »
oh ok. Small NY office?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2008, 02:11:12 PM »
oh ok. Small NY office?

No. Large London office.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile