Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Apple Laptop and Bootcamp.  (Read 1622 times)

Prize Fight Promoter

• Sr. Citizen
  • Don King with a Law Degree
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jshap4321
    • View Profile
Apple Laptop and Bootcamp.
« on: May 08, 2008, 07:36:17 PM »
I just bought a black Macbook and I am in love with it.  A month ago I was the biggest Windows person on the planet but now I am sure I will never go back barring a miracle.  I am very big on electronics reviews and the macbook got perfect reviews from every organization and individual that encountered them.

Now, onto business.  Has anyone put Windows XP on their Apple through bootcamp?  How many gb's do you advise allocating to each operating system?  Has anyone encountered any problems or setbacks with bootcamp and Windows? 

Bob23

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Apple Laptop and Bootcamp.
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:02:35 PM »
You can install it easily with bootcamp. I think you need to have a CD with SP2 already on it. I've tried to put XP on my Macbook Air (I had a bad CD), but I was only going to allocate 5gb for it. I have little/no use for Windows, save for testing software. Unless you need it for testing, you might look into Parallels.

Rhymnoceros

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I'm the mother flippin'"
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 11:55:08 PM »
I just bought a black Macbook and I am in love with it.  A month ago I was the biggest Windows person on the planet but now I am sure I will never go back barring a miracle.  I am very big on electronics reviews and the macbook got perfect reviews from every organization and individual that encountered them.

Now, onto business.  Has anyone put Windows XP on their Apple through bootcamp?  How many gb's do you advise allocating to each operating system?  Has anyone encountered any problems or setbacks with bootcamp and Windows? 

I have a macbook which runs windows through bootcamp. No problems at all so far; windows runs like a charm. I partitioned the  drive straight in half, but thats mainly because this computer doesn't have many big programs on it, so 60 gigs for windows and 60 for mac is fine. But if you're going to be putting on big files and programs, then obviously that is a bad idea.

Wattage2004

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:24 AM »
I just purchased the black Macbook, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB hardrive.  I put XP on it last week, and partitioned 32 GB for the windows portion of the hard drive, that way I can access all the XP files when on Mac OS X.  If you partition more than 32 GB, you can't access the windows portion unless you login to windows.  The only reason I even put XP on my new comp was so I can use OneNote in Office '07, and for the off chance I need to use some other program that isn't Apple friendly.  For some reason which is beyond me Microsoft won't put OneNote into the Mac Office suite.
University of Houston 2011

Accepted: UH($$), OCU($$$), STCL, Baylor
Rejected: UT, Colorado
Waitlist: TTU, OU, SMU
Pending: Denver

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=wattage2004

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 02:17:45 AM »
I have a macbook pro. XP on Bootcamp is fine. I have a 5gb partition for it, and use it only to run the examsoft software. I recommend 5-7 if that's the only thing you'll use it for, otherwise,it's just dead space.

@Wattage2004
have you considered Parallels? or VMware? I use OneNote as well (yeah it sucks they won't put it in the office suite for mac), but I run OneNote in parallels. It's nice, especially with "Spaces." This way you don't have to boot into XP, but can run OS X and XP at the same time.
Granted, you have to install XP twice (examsoft MUST be run on Bootcamp) but Parallels makes OneNote at lot more accessible.

Also, if you only have a SP1 disc, you can download SP2 from the microsoft website

Pearl

• Sr. Citizen
  • I AM THE LAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 09:01:31 AM »
If the only reason you are installing windows is to take exams, I would hold off until you are actually at school. This year at Michigan (at like, the last second in December before exams) we got exam software for Macs, so now I have Windows installed w/ the partition and all that and I'm too lazy to undo it. So it might be worth waiting just in case your school gets exam software for Mac.

wheretogo13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 11:38:00 PM »
I'm looking into doing the same thing, but I would have to second what Pearl said if you are only using it for exams. CLS was very clear to me when I called them that the requirement for windows was current only through this semester. They made no promises that the software would be available to macs in the fall, but they told me that their policy definitely can change for each exam period.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 03:51:46 PM »
There is a Mac version of the examsoft software being released this summer. Our school dropped secureexam last year so I had to try and use bootcamp. I say "try" because you cannot have vmware or parallels installed on a bootcamp machine and expect the examsoft program to run. It somehow figures out that those prgrams are installed and will refuse to boot the software. So if you want to use your computer for examsoft, do not I repeat do not install vmware or parellels to work with your bootcamp partition. You *might* be able to install a separate virtual machine and not run into conflicts, but that would require a second copy of XP.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 04:12:31 PM »
I only gave windows 5GB of hard drive space, which was a horrible idea (just not enough room for the necessary software).  I have a bigger hard drive now, so when I re-install windows in a few months, I'll probably give it about 20GB.

The only problem I had was when I un-partitioned my hard drive...the computer did not initially know how to start up again, and I had a miscommunication with tech support, which led me to believe that my hard drive was fried.  Everything worked out okay, though - classic case of PEBKAC.
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 04:30:09 AM »
I say "try" because you cannot have vmware or parallels installed on a bootcamp machine and expect the examsoft program to run. It somehow figures out that those prgrams are installed and will refuse to boot the software. So if you want to use your computer for examsoft, do not I repeat do not install vmware or parellels to work with your bootcamp partition.

I have both Parallels and Bootcamp. Didn't run into any issues nor did many other people. I don't have my bootcamp setup, though in any shape or form connected with parallels