Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Bidding - Which markets are easier to break?  (Read 2372 times)

Luigi rules

• View Profile
Bidding - Which markets are easier to break?
« on: May 08, 2008, 05:05:31 PM »
How hard is it to get callbacks from firms in markets like LA, DC and Chicago without ties?
I have no desire to go back home and NY BIGLAW makes me want to vomit. a lot.  Any market suggestions other than the above???  I'm fairly open.  THANKS.

oh-- Medianish student at T10.

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
Re: Bidding - Which markets are easier to break?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 12:18:03 AM »
DC is pretty similar to NY in that you don't need ties. I occasionally hear of firms asking "Why DC?" but I hear that about NY occasionally too.

LA and Chicago probably look a bit closer to ties, but are not impossible to crack if you can come up with a plausible reason why you to live there.

For pretty much any other market, my understanding is you either need a good reason to be there, or you need to be the type of student firms salivate over.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 12:52:38 AM »
How difficult would it be to crack the LA market coming out of UVA? Without ties to LA, I mean. I think the only tie I have to LA is that my law school choice came down to UCLA and UVA....
UVA Law Class of 2011

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2008, 01:37:48 AM »
How difficult would it be to crack the LA market coming out of UVA? Without ties to LA, I mean. I think the only tie I have to LA is that my law school choice came down to UCLA and UVA....

so why do you want to move to LA?

SteelersandGators

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 11:36:41 AM »

so why do you want to move to LA?

Because I love the weather, beach, nearby mountains, and women? That would be my honest answer, but that's not how I would answer to a firm. I was so close to going to UCLA because I was interested in working in LA, but I wasn't positive that's where I wanted to be. I wanted to leave other options open, so I chose UVA.
UVA Law Class of 2011

NYC2L

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 01:43:46 PM »
"NY BIGLAW makes me want to vomit"

You will be sorely disappointed if you expect LA, DC, Chicago or any other BIGLAW for that matter to be notably different from NY BIGLAW.

SteelersandGators,

I interviewed in LA, DC, Boston and NY. A firm will pretty much buy any rational reason for your desire to work in one of these markets (I cannot speak for Chicago). I lived in New England for a few years (15 years ago) and told Boston firms that I wanted to return. I went to college in the West (not CA) and told California firms that I preferred the western lifestyle. Finally, I told DC firms that I was interested in politics and government. I wasn't lying. All of these things are true, albeit somewhat exaggerated for persuasive effect.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 09:31:55 PM »
I realize this is kind of an assholish post but it always bafles me when people post on internet fora to ask questions like "where should i begin my career, I am open to suggestions." Seriously, I think you know better where you want to live than a bunch of people who don't know you or anything about you other than you don't like new york or wherever it is that you are from.

pat sajack

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 04:29:12 AM »
The answer is that Chicago will be the easiest to break into.  Ties don't matter as much for DC, but your grades will.  It tends to be a tough market for anyone hovering around the median because all the geeky law students want to work there.  I'd be cautious about just bidding in LA because things may be pulled way back this year because of the economy -- you might want to bid on two cities.  But honestly, you need to think things through a little more because Chicago, DC and LA are entirely different places, and you need to sort out some priority in your head for them.

You might want to think about a few of the firms in NY with better reputations for good quality of life (Hughes Hubbard, etc.) too.

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 09:48:00 AM »
I'm considering DC and SF, with no "real" ties to either place (I've visited a lot, have friends there and my bf is applying to grad school in both locations).  How should I pitch my interest in these places?  How hard will it be to crack the markets? I'm reluctant to use my personal life in interviews, but my reasons for wanting these cities are mostly personal.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn