Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Georgetown overrated?  (Read 8889 times)

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
Re: Is Georgetown overrated?
« Reply #50 on: May 25, 2008, 11:43:58 PM »
The question that this thread is based upon is weak?  How can a law school be overrated?  It's like a stock being over valued.  It's not possible in real-time.

Also, what evidence do we have to say that Georgetown is the worst of the T14?  USNWR?  Placement into NLJ250 firms?  I wouldn't place all my eggs into either of those baskets.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 25, 2008, 11:53:03 PM »
Though I don't think GULC is overrated, I think the thought goes something like this.

The US News rankings are an estimation of some real, hard-to-attain ordinal rank of law schools. This assumes that the US News is not the real value, but a pointer (or not a pointer) to some ontologically significant, unknown value.

Your analogy does not work because value, when referring to stock, is defined in terms of how much two parties are willing to buy and sell it for (or something like that). With the US News rankings, and somebody saying X school is overrated, the definition of value is not based on the US News rankings, but that real ordinal rank I spoke of above.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

dekocards

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • stats
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2008, 12:03:39 AM »
Though I don't think GULC is overrated, I think the thought goes something like this.

The US News rankings are an estimation of some real, hard-to-attain ordinal rank of law schools. This assumes that the US News is not the real value, but a pointer (or not a pointer) to some ontologically significant, unknown value.

Your analogy does not work because value, when referring to stock, is defined in terms of how much two parties are willing to buy and sell it for (or something like that). With the US News rankings, and somebody saying X school is overrated, the definition of value is not based on the US News rankings, but that real ordinal rank I spoke of above.

Degrees are bought and sold all of the time.  Prices are set just like any other market.  It isn't a perfectly efficient market, but neither is the stock market.  I think the analogy holds.

I'm not discussing some "essence" of a law school, or some other intangible, I'm discussing the value that people place on the school and therefore the degrees conferred.  The supply and demand for these degrees exists in very real terms, and there is a real value.  Just like any investment, the value will change depending on how it is used (e.g. poor grades, poor social skills etc).

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2008, 12:22:05 AM »
I wasn't talking about something intangible, but an important part of the market that is not-quite-epistemically inaccessible, yet an actor on decisions.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »
Thanks JNSL  :)

I too somehow interpreted it as more of an attack. As the OP indicated (and others have echoed) GULC is often held in the legal field to be the worst of the best. We all know USNWR consistently claims this, but I was just posting to say that I too have heard this said.

Camel man's attack is weak: I also did not get admitted into Boston University. The selectivity (that is which particular students are admitted) of a law school is not synonymous with its rating/ranking/prestige, etc.

I am sorry if I insulted you in some way. Perhaps you're headed to GULC? Like I said, it may be the worst of the best, but it's still among the most elite law schools in the country. Be proud!

'Tis all.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2008, 06:52:53 PM »
Is it disparaging to say that Columbia is the worst of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Columbia?

subtle YHSC trolling.  :P

Columbia > Penn -- happy? :D
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2008, 09:50:00 PM »
I am sorry if I insulted you in some way. Perhaps you're headed to GULC? Like I said, it may be the worst of the best

No insult; you just have a logical disconnect.  If GULC is in fact the worst of the best, and it is being perceived as the worst of the best, then GULC is not overrated.  Correct?

That is correct. A lot of people (many of them outside the legal field), don't share that perception though. I thought that was the basis of this thread. My bad.
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.