Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Georgetown overrated?  (Read 8690 times)

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Georgetown overrated?
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2008, 01:03:10 PM »
Does that include 1Ls and 2Ls? If so, you need to double the number to 9000.

Also, it doesn't make sense to say guaranteed anyhow (even with a light reading of 'guaranteed'). Since a no-offer to a summer is extremely rare, don't you think there wouldn't be people having to settle for non Vault jobs, or worse, not biglaw at all (keyword settle, as I know not everybody wants biglaw and wouldn't consider other stuff settling)?

Do you think there's a chance you double counted (even if not on purpose)?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

ricefigaro

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2008, 05:38:39 PM »
While it is true that the spots available do not deferentiate between 1Ls and 2Ls I don't think you need to take that into account. The vast majority of summer v25s (I guess 95%) are filled by 2Ls. So if you want to add anything to the initial estimate of 4500 people vying for spots you should just add the total number of 1L summers not all possible 1Ls because those 1L slots are assumedly being filled at the expense of a 2L who would otherwise have had that spot. Of course getting a 1L position is more difficult and if you wanted to study just summer placement you should double the number of job seekers to 9000 but I am just interested in jobs after graduation.

Let's extrapolate the number of V100 summers from the number of V25 summers (you could collect the NALP data if you were so inclined). The firms get smaller as you go down so let's assume that there are 3 times as many V100 summer positions as V25 summer positions. That is still 10,887 summer positions. How many people graduated from T14s last year? I believe less than 4,000. Thus, it seems to me that a V100 position for a T14 after graduation is practically guaranteed if you want one. 

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2008, 10:21:12 PM »
I think there must be double counting going on. Assuming 11,000 positions, biglaw should be guaranteed for all of the top 25-30 schools, and enough other positions to include 10-15 more schools worth. In other words, omething must be wrong or career services across the top 30 are doing a bad job.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

woeisme

• Sr. Citizen
  • Untouchable
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2008, 10:49:23 PM »
Depends on what you want to pursue, I'd think.

But yeah, I think it tends to be overrated. It's certainly the worst of the best (as has already been said).
Cornell Law School Class of 2011 ... ftw.

CamelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2008, 10:59:34 PM »

But yeah, I think it tends to be overrated. It's certainly the worst of the best (as has already been said).

Of course you think it's overrated. You didn't get in....
This post will self-destruct in five, four, three, two....

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2008, 11:15:35 PM »

::) Get over yourself.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

CamelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2008, 11:22:31 PM »

::) Get over yourself.

Just sayin' is all...

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2008, 11:27:24 PM »
What's that even mean? If you're going to attack him, and not apologize or edit/delete it, then actually say something substantive rather than cowering behind "just sayin'".
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

CamelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2008, 11:36:36 PM »
What's that even mean? If you're going to attack him, and not apologize or edit/delete it, then actually say something substantive rather than cowering behind "just sayin'".

Just saying that it's suprising how much crap GULC gets on these boards, until you realize a lot of it comes from people who didn't get in.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 25, 2008, 11:40:04 PM »
Is it disparaging to say that Columbia is the worst of Harvard, Yale, Stanford, and Columbia?
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011