Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Georgetown overrated?  (Read 8879 times)

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Is Georgetown overrated?
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2008, 10:56:30 PM »
I often call people names, but I sometimes contribute to the board.  I'm a little jaded and may jump the gun from time to time but there are a lot of trolls on this board and most of the time I'm right when I call someone on it...

Also, I've been told on more than one occasion that I'm the "best poster of the new cycle" or that someone likes my posts...

So yeah, I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst...
Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2008, 11:01:34 PM »
Non-responsive to my point about 0L's.  I'm glad winning "best poster of the new cycle" massages your ego.  Further, the fact that you haven't even attended law school, gone through OCI, or served on your school's admission committee, really relegates most of your "knowledge" to hearsay.  I am finished arguing with you.  I stop by once in a while to answer topics I know about, mainly my school, IP, and BigLaw is specified markets.  I really don't care what people think.

I often call people names, but I sometimes contribute to the board.  I'm a little jaded and may jump the gun from time to time but there are a lot of trolls on this board and most of the time I'm right when I call someone on it...

Also, I've been told on more than one occasion that I'm the "best poster of the new cycle" or that someone likes my posts...

So yeah, I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst...
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

SCK2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
It doesn't massage my ego but it does counter your "you're the worst poster on this board" argument.  Never said I knew everything, or anything.  I did point out what might have been perceived as a tiny little hole in one of your arguments though.  Sorry it got you all worked up though.  I'll try not to bother you anymore.

See ya.

Honorable Mention/All-Valley Tournament

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2008, 02:18:07 AM »
my school actually does equal biglaw.

It is news to me that Penn = biglaw.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2008, 02:34:41 AM »
Boalt isn't not equal to CCN, sorry.

i say it is.  :P

(not really, but hey it's fun to exclude penn.  ;) )

I saw that.

And I'm sorry anyone wastes time arguing about these distinctions, mostly.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

UVAnProud2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2008, 02:36:31 AM »
no school guarantees biglaw period. i know a few from HYS that couldn't get biglaw. even at UVA there are people that can't get biglaw.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 03:03:39 AM »
no school guarantees biglaw period. i know a few from HYS that couldn't get biglaw. even at UVA there are people that can't get biglaw.

If you can't get biglaw from YLS with their p/h/f system where at the least you'll get Ps, then you probably either a)aimed too high or b) seriously socially deficient
Columbia 3L

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2008, 04:03:03 PM »

I'd modify this slightly to "there are no guarantees in life." But.... looking at employment data for T14s suggests that most of them have at least half their class making market rate. At the very least, T14->biglaw gives better odds than calling heads on a coinflip. The same can't be said for (almost) all the other ABA schools. For 0Ls (and aren't we technically 1Ls now that the school year is over?) trying to make value-added decisions based on this information, polemics like
I can speak intelligently about the perceptions of some 0L's.  Many think T14=Biglaw, when it is not true outside HYS, if it is even true for them.
often get in the way.
Rising 1L

AmyWaxFanClubPresident

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 12:29:23 PM »
So we should tell all 0Ls that T14=Biglaw, when you just admitted that some of the lower T14's place around 50% of their class in Biglaw?  You are confounding two separate issues - whether going to a T14 is better than not going to one and whether going to a given T14 is a good decision.  Wouldn't making a "value-added decision" require accurate information?  Or is everyone on this board the same - they are just seeking validation in their own decisions/thoughts, instead of wanting legitimate answers.

I'd modify this slightly to "there are no guarantees in life." But.... looking at employment data for T14s suggests that most of them have at least half their class making market rate. At the very least, T14->biglaw gives better odds than calling heads on a coinflip. The same can't be said for (almost) all the other ABA schools. For 0Ls (and aren't we technically 1Ls now that the school year is over?) trying to make value-added decisions based on this information, polemics like
I can speak intelligently about the perceptions of some 0L's.  Many think T14=Biglaw, when it is not true outside HYS, if it is even true for them.
often get in the way.
"This semester I will plunge you into the slough of despair, and when you are at your most desolate and are ready to give up, I will give you some light" - Professor Amy Wax

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2008, 01:39:51 PM »
So we should tell all 0Ls that T14=Biglaw, when you just admitted that some of the lower T14's place around 50% of their class in Biglaw? 

Depends on how you define biglaw. 79% of GULC (Which I will admit has the worst placement in the T14) 2Ls get summer associate positions at firms of 100 lawyers or more. About 2/3 go to firms of 100 or more after graduation (The difference is largely people who chose to do clerkships/government/public interest). Hardly "around 50%" Granted, not all of those firms payed at the market rate or are listed in the firm rankings biglaw bound people seem to love so much, but all were solid jobs that won't leave the people who took them struggling to pay off student loans. Frankly, I don't think its too terribly difficult to stay out of the bottom 1/4 as long as you work reasonably hard.

While T14 might not = Biglaw, going to any T14 does afford a very strong potential option to go that route if you so desire. We shouldn't tell 0L's to go any one route as a blanket statement. People have vastly different reasons and goals in going to law school. What we can tell those who have a desire to go biglaw and/or will be taking on very large amounts of debt, is that it would be wise to try to attend T14 schools if doing so is an option (not just academically but also personally).

Or is everyone on this board the same - they are just seeking validation in their own decisions/thoughts

This is a widespread problem on the board (and I can hardly claim to be without hypocricy in the matter). I can't tell you how many times I have seen poeple say that LSD gives bad advice. This is true of people on any side of an issue. What they are really saying by this is that my advice is better than poster XYZ's advice because I am insert one or more of the following: [Older/wiser/smarter/beter researched/more experienced/better connected/morally superior/less greedy/more greedy/more worldy/less worldy/going to a t14/not going to a t14/going to biglaw/ not going to biglaw/etc.]
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?