Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Is Georgetown overrated?  (Read 8876 times)

deedle

• View Profile
Is Georgetown overrated?
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:46:52 PM »
I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask this question on LSD...

I'm heading to law school in the fall and I've been fortunate enough to receive advice from many within the legal profession (I'm currently working as a paralegal within the federal gov). I've solicited opinions from grads from tons of law schools (from Yale to Regents), and while these opinions have been mostly diverse, there has been considerable unity on one point: that GULC is overrated, that it's a "trade school" that just churns out graduates. At least two people told me that I'd be foolish to even consider Georgetown over other T14 schools to which I gained admission (UVA, Chicago).

By and large, it seems that other schools just above Georgetown in the popular-yet-flawed rankings (Northwestern, Cornell) have far more favorable reputations within the legal profession. Is this true? More importantly, is this merited? This is sort of surprising to me, given their job placement data, their (I think) decent clerkship placement (10%ish, I think?). I will concede bias, however, because I like DC and I'm impressed by the some of GULC's faculty and clinics...

Martin Prince, Jr.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Excelsior!
    • View Profile
Re: Is Georgetown overrated?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 05:56:40 PM »
Short answer: No.

Just because it is the "worst" of the "best" doesn't mean it somehow isn't one of the best law schools in the country. Great School. Great Degree. Great Prospects.
Rising 1L

Harsh Reality

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 09:06:25 PM »
When one thinks of Georgetown, Georgetown Law is the first thing that usually comes to mind. Even those who are not in the legal profession know that Georgetown has one of the finest law schools in the country.  If Georgetown continues to place many of their grads in BigLaw and clerkships like the way they do now, I don't know how you can say they are overrated.

To me, overrated means it's high in the US News rankings but struggles to place its graduates in BigLaw and clerksips. 

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5526/thumbid5.jpg
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 11:59:26 PM »
When one thinks of Georgetown, Georgetown Law is the first thing that usually comes to mind.

Not true. When I think of Georgetown, OVERRATED is the first thing that comes to my mind. Like Patrick Ewing, Roy Hibbert and GULC Law Center.

Seriously.
VIP.

CamelMan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 12:15:05 AM »
When one thinks of Georgetown, Georgetown Law is the first thing that usually comes to mind.

Not true. When I think of Georgetown, OVERRATED is the first thing that comes to my mind. Like Patrick Ewing, Roy Hibbert and GULC Law Center.

Seriously.

Says the guy from Nova, who didn't get into GULC....

This post will self-destruct in five, four, three, two....

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 01:16:37 AM »

Seriously.

Says the federalisTTT society member  ;)
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

SCOTUS20

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 01:19:14 AM »

OVERRATED is the first thing that comes to my mind. Like [. . .]  GULC Law Center.

Seriously.

Is redundancy something else that comes to your mind?

du-can

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • lsn
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 01:23:43 AM »

Seriously.

Says the guy from Nova, who didn't get into GULC....

Didn't those guys play in the national championship one year?  I wonder how that turned out.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 02:24:31 AM »

OVERRATED is the first thing that comes to my mind. Like [. . .]  GULC Law Center.

Seriously.

Is redundancy something else that comes to your mind?

You are aware that Georgetown isn't just a law school, right? They have a whole university over there.
Didn't those guys play in the national championship one year?  I wonder how that turned out.

I heard it was a pretty boring game. I don't think anyone was watching.
VIP.

Captain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 02:25:43 AM »
Says the federalisTTT society member  ;)

Don't be intolerant...
VIP.