Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A SILLY QUESTION, BUT  (Read 2140 times)

LULAW1982

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: THIS MAY SEEM LIKE A SILLY QUESTION, BUT
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 02:36:38 AM »
A pinch of insanity and a loaded gun. 

iteach

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 11:16:04 AM »
To clarify, he does not drink, so whiskey's not a great option. He already has a laptop, and a really good back. I wanted to get him something that he may need or would get really good use out of while in school.I was thinking something along the lines of books or electronics (that are not way too expensive).

vap

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attorney
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
I haven't tried this yet, but someone on these boards mentioned it awhile ago.  It seems useful for saving time.  Would come in handy for briefing, taking notes from the book (imagine just reading the key parts aloud that you want, rather than reading and typing the important stuff out), extracting and reformulating/organizing class notes.  Depending on how you organize your thoughts, would also be useful for writing classes.  I think I'm going to get me a copy before next year.

http://dragontranscription.com/content/view/16/33/

USC313

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 03:53:58 PM »
Get him "Glannon's Guide to Civil Procedure, 5th ed." It's a supplement to first year civil procedure courses. Trust me, he'll thank you by the end of the semester. (Retail price $35~)

Groundhog

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 04:53:35 PM »
Glannon's guide is amazing. It even has little poems for each chapter to lighten the mood! Oh how you'll enjoy civ pro.

bossofyou

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2008, 06:04:31 PM »
I heard from others or saw in the books about that law shcool students in USA were all working hard. they stay in the library for searching for cases and doing the case note. Is that ture? If you were in China, taking  the classes and don't be absent, get a good mark at the end of every semester is enough.

That is what communism gets you - mediocrity.  Also, American law is complex, whereas Chinese law is simple:  chief of state = boss of you.

Now, I am bossofyou, so get your asz back in the library and study like USA! 

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2008, 07:24:14 PM »
To clarify, he does not drink, so whiskey's not a great option. He already has a laptop, and a really good back. I wanted to get him something that he may need or would get really good use out of while in school.I was thinking something along the lines of books or electronics (that are not way too expensive).

IPODs are useful.  either for the commute to school (if he is walking or public transportation) or for studying (some people like music when studying.  not my scene, but whatever).

thorc954

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2008, 07:25:15 PM »
noise cancelling headphones.

did you try this?  if so, do you have to listen to anything or can you just get them and make them completely blank out any sound? 

greenie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2008, 09:09:57 PM »

did you try this?  if so, do you have to listen to anything or can you just get them and make them completely blank out any sound? 

Mainly they block out low frequency noises, but "blur" out the rest.

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »

you don't have to listen to music to have the noise cancelling work, at least for the bose headphones. They don't cancel everything out, but they cancel out a lot of ambient noise, and muffle everything else